tkhobbes

tkhobbes

Modern Front-End Development for Rails - application does not start after run bin/setup (page xviii)

After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I visit the homepage:

ctionView::Template::Error (Webpacker can’t find application.css in /Users/thomas/Documents/Websites/rails-frontend/public/packs/manifest.json. Possible causes:

  1. You want to set webpacker.yml value of compile to true for your environment
    unless you are using the webpack -w or the webpack-dev-server.
  2. webpack has not yet re-run to reflect updates.
  3. You have misconfigured Webpacker’s config/webpacker.yml file.
  4. Your webpack configuration is not creating a manifest.
    Your manifest contains:
    {
    “application.js”: “/packs/js/application-e2d1692aebb36c02d64a.js”,
    “entrypoints”: {
    “application”: {
    “assets”: {
    “js”: [
    “/packs/js/runtime-a264c6705547ad01acbb.js”,
    “/packs/js/vendors-node_modules_rails_activestorage_app_assets_javascripts_activestorage_js-node_modules-2576d4-9a719947c3eb6bc6295c.js”,
    “/packs/js/application-e2d1692aebb36c02d64a.js”
    ]
    }
    }
    },
    “js/application-e2d1692aebb36c02d64a.js.map”: “/packs/js/application-e2d1692aebb36c02d64a.js.map”,
    “js/runtime-a264c6705547ad01acbb.js.map”: “/packs/js/runtime-a264c6705547ad01acbb.js.map”,
    “js/vendors-node_modules_rails_activestorage_app_assets_javascripts_activestorage_js-node_modules-2576d4-9a719947c3eb6bc6295c.js”: “/packs/js/vendors-node_modules_rails_activestorage_app_assets_javascripts_activestorage_js-node_modules-2576d4-9a719947c3eb6bc6295c.js”,
    “js/vendors-node_modules_rails_activestorage_app_assets_javascripts_activestorage_js-node_modules-2576d4-9a719947c3eb6bc6295c.js.map”: “/packs/js/vendors-node_modules_rails_activestorage_app_assets_javascripts_activestorage_js-node_modules-2576d4-9a719947c3eb6bc6295c.js.map”,
    “runtime.js”: “/packs/js/runtime-a264c6705547ad01acbb.js”
    }
    ):
    5:
    6: <%= csrf_meta_tags %>
    7: <%= csp_meta_tag %>
    8: <%= stylesheet_pack_tag(
    9: “application”,
    10: media: “all”,
    11: “data-turbolinks-track”: “reload”

app/views/layouts/application.html.erb:8

I am not 100% sure what is wrong here?

First Post!

noelrappin

noelrappin

Author of Modern Front-End Development for Rails

So, webpacker is not generating the application.css file for some reason – this is a webpack error that sometimes happens intermittently when webpacker gets into a strange state.

Are you running this off the sample code directly, or have you been trying to build the app yourself? Is there another error in the logs that suggests that the app/packs/entrypoint/application.scss file didn’t compile?

You could try removing the /public/packs directory and trying again?

I’m sorry you are having this problem.

Alternately, the second edition of the book doesn’t use webpack, and should be easier to set up, if you purchased the ebook from Pragmatic, you get the second edition for free, and it might be worth you trying out.

Noel

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
davetron5000
Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and ar...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New

Sub Categories: