brohemian

brohemian

Modern Front-End Development for Rails: Can't get past the entire first chapter

Trying to build an app from scratch based off of the first chapter is extremely frustrating when trying to use the later/latest versions of related libraries.

I’m using Rails 6.1.4.1 and Webpacker v6.0.0.rc.5:

rails new side_project -d postgresql

gem 'webpacker', github: 'rails/webpacker' (6.0.0.rc.5 at time of installation)

After running rails webpack:install, by default the rails app uses app/javascript/packs instead of app/packs/entrypoints. I renamed the folders to follow the same pattern as in the book.

Second, application.scss does not exist, only application.css in app/assets/stylesheets/application.css, so if we need to rename and copy it over to packs/entrypoints/ it’s unclear.

fork-ts-checker-webpack-plugin is required in the config mentioned on p 57 but it’s not mentioned anywhere that this has to be added with yarn first. yarn add fork-ts-checker-webpack-plugin.

Last, I had to update webpacker.yml to update the source_path and source_entry_path to match the new folder structure:

default: &default
  source_path: app/packs
  source_entry_path: entrypoints
  public_root_path: public
  public_output_path: packs
  cache_path: tmp/webpacker
  webpack_compile_output: true

Even after all this config change, I cannot get the app to compile:
Webpacker can't find application.js

Here is a sample repo where I’ve tried to get this to work, any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT:

Was finally able to get my app to run. It required doing a few different things, some from the webpacker 6 upgrade guide: webpacker/v6_upgrade.md at master · rails/webpacker · GitHub

  1. delete .browserlistrc
  2. delete babel.config.js
  3. yarn add postcss-flexbugs-fixes postcss-import postcss-preset-env (this is especially annoying because they are required inside postcss.config.js by default)
  4. Add a dummy TS file to entrypoints/ or tsconfig.json will complain. I added a empty dummy.ts file.

The lack of documentation for all the config that is required with rails new along with a fresh install of webpacker 6 is unfortunate, hopefully things can be updated soon.

First Post!

noelrappin

noelrappin

Author of Modern Front-End Development for Rails

Yes, it’s extremely frustrating that Webpacker and Rails never quite agreed on file structure, and that Webpacker is continuing to make changes after the book came out.

Webpacker still hasn’t released an official 6.0 version, and Rails 7.0 changes everything all over again.

I’m not quite sure what the most useful thing to do about this, but creating a good place to go for current instructions on setting up the app is probably useful. I’m not sure whether it’s worth doing a Rails 6 one, or doing a Rails 7 one, or both.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
cro
I am working on the “Your Turn” for chapter one and building out the restart button talked about on page 27. It recommends looking into ...
New
patoncrispy
I’m new to Rust and am using this book to learn more as well as to feed my interest in game dev. I’ve just finished the flappy dragon exa...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New

Sub Categories: