Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Changing endpoint.ex to “use Desktop.Endpoint” breaks Desktop app

Background

I have created a fresh Phoenix app using mix phx.new.web web_interface --no-dashboard --no-ecto --no-gettext --no-mailer inside an Umbrella app.

After following the basic installation instructions for the dependencies and changing my application.ex to:

defmodule WebInterface.Application do
  use Application

  alias Desktop
  alias WebInterface.{Endpoint, Telemetry, PubSub}
  alias WebInterface.Live.MenuBar

  @impl true
  def start(_type, _args) do
    children = [
      Telemetry,
      {Phoenix.PubSub, name: PubSub},
      Endpoint,
      {Desktop.Window,
       [
         app: :web_interface,
         id: WebInterface,
         title: "Market Manager",
         size: {940, 980},
         menubar: MenuBar,
         icon: "static/images/resized_logo_5_32x32.png",
         url: &WebInterface.Endpoint.url/0
       ]}
    ]

    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: WebInterface.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

  # boilerplate code bellow
end

I was able to launch my Desktop application and have it working.

Problem

However, after changing endpoint.ex following the instruction #3 here:

I was no longer able to launch the application due to an error:

08:30:14.411 [notice] Application runtime_tools exited: :stopped
** (Mix) Could not start application web_interface: WebInterface.Application.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: WebInterface.Endpoint
    ** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
        ** (UndefinedFunctionError) function Phoenix.Endpoint.Supervisor.url/1 is undefined or private
            (phoenix 1.7.2) Phoenix.Endpoint.Supervisor.url(WebInterface.Endpoint)
            (phoenix 1.7.2) lib/phoenix/config.ex:65: Phoenix.Config.cache/3
            (web_interface 2.2.0) lib/web_interface/endpoint.ex:2: WebInterface.Endpoint.url/0
            (phoenix 1.7.2) lib/phoenix/endpoint/supervisor.ex:425: Phoenix.Endpoint.Supervisor.log_access_url/2
            (phoenix 1.7.2) lib/phoenix/endpoint/supervisor.ex:17: Phoenix.Endpoint.Supervisor.start_link/3
            (stdlib 4.1.1) supervisor.erl:414: :supervisor.do_start_child_i/3
            (stdlib 4.1.1) supervisor.erl:400: :supervisor.do_start_child/2
            (stdlib 4.1.1) supervisor.erl:384: anonymous fn/3 in :supervisor.start_children/2

To me, this indicates that changing Phoenix.Endpoint to Desktop.Endpoint is no longer necessary.

Question

  1. Is the documentation outdated?
  2. If not, am I missing something? Given that before the change the application worked, what could be causing the issue (assuming the change is indeed necessary)?

It is worth noting however, that the creation of Phoenix projects inside Umbrella applications is currently bugged (see: Phoenix 1.7 welcome page assets not showing properly - Questions / Help - Elixir Programming Language Forum) but I don’t think this is related.

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

So, after delving into the source code, I am of the opinion the documentation (desktop/guides/your_first_app.md at main · elixir-desktop/desktop · GitHub) needs to be updated, specifically:

def deps do
[
    {:desktop, "~> 1.4"}
]
end

Needs to be:

def deps do
[
    {:desktop, "~> 1.5"}
]
end

As v1.4 breaks with Phoenix LiveView 1.18. More info:

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

Sally_san
So I’ve got a client that wants to build a site like this: Specifically 3 things from the website: The fullscreen sections that chang...
New
jubocade
What is the best course of front end (live webinars or recorded)? So I already have basic understanding of HTML CSS JS and React but I wa...
New
The_Exile
I am new to programming. I started reading Eloquent Javascript 3rd Edition, as the book comes highly recommended as a good place for beg...
/js
New
sona11
I have a 1D array of numbers and need help splitting them into groups using a jagged array so that I can perform a series of computations...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have created a fresh Phoenix app using mix phx.new.web web_interface --no-dashboard --no-ecto --no-gettext --no-mailer insid...
New
Clintonsuck
Hello, I am new and trying to build my first app. So far, everything was going okay, but now I’m stuck and don’t know how to proceed. May...
New
Arpeggio
I have the following HTML structure, which is dynamically rendered from a Sightly (HTL) page in a new AEM component we’re building, so I ...
New
jaeyson
would it be backwards if I’m learning react? last time I used UI library (aside from LiveView) was Elm (not much) and that was eons ago.
New
grboi
I am learning full-stack and wanted to know which tech would be best, which would scale better. This is because when sitting for intervie...
New
selamibaba
I maintain a content website built around a fixed domain of 78 unique items. This is the current overview page showing the complete data...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New