PragmaticBookshelf

PragmaticBookshelf

Devtalk Sponsor

Spotlight: Bruce Tate (Author) Interview and AMA!

Author Spotlight:
Bruce Tate
@redrapids

Programming languages always emerge out of need, and if that’s not always true, they’re definitely adopted out of need. We talked with Bruce Tate, co-author of Programming Phoenix LiveView, about how technologies find their right time and place and then showcase their abilities like a flower suddenly blooming into view.

This is also an AMA. Everyone commenting or asking a question will automatically be entered into our drawing to win a copy of Programming Phoenix LiveView!

Most Liked

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

When Bruce Tate says “I’ve written many books,” he means it. His contributions are far from ordinary; they are among the best books about programming and development particularly Elixir. Bruce has authored and co-authored some of the best programming and development books.

I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to Bruce for being an incredible tech trainer and for sharing his knowledge through these books. Your contributions are invaluable. Thank you, Bruce!

redrapids

redrapids

Author & Editor at PragProg

Thanks so much for the great kindness.

mortz

mortz

Thanks @redrapids and @Erica for the great interview. Event sourcing is a new term that I discovered and looks like the next rabbit hole I am going to find myself in.

I have a question about how you manage to get proficient in more than one language. I am a long time python user and I am comfortable enough in the language that it is the first one I reach for whenever I have a problem to solve. My question is how do you go from “Let me quickly solve it in the language / framework X that I know” to “Wander towards a possible dead-end in a language / framework Y which looks interesting but I don’t know much”?

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
A Hero’s Journey with Chris Pine @chrispine Chris Pine, author of Learn to Program, Third Edition, discusses his journey to beco...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A Hero’s Journey with Sophie DeBenedetto @SophieDeBenedetto Sophie DeBenedetto, author of Programming Phoenix Liveview, discusse...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight James Stanier @jstanier James Stanier, author of Effective Remote Work , discusses how to rethink the office as we e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: Johanna Rothman @jrothman Writing is a craft and Johanna Rothman is an expert. Today we talked about the art of wri...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: Leemay Nassery @leemay You do your best new feature development when you’re not afraid to be wrong. We sat down and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Democratizing Deployment with Ellie and Pep @elliefairholm and @Gilacost Ellie Fairholm and Josep (Pep) Giralt D’Lacoste are o...
New
Margaret
Native Mobile Development in Rails with Joe Masilotti @joemasilotti Building fully native iOS and Android apps can be comp...
New
Margaret
Creating Great Teams with Sandy Mamoli @sandymamoli and David Mole What if teams could form themselves, rather than being assi...
New
Margaret
Building a Culture of Experimentation with Leemay Nassery @leemay With the right mindset, architecture, and processes, any team ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New