Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Cannot launch Elixir Desktop app when MIX_ENV=test

Background

I have Phoenix umbrella application. When inside said application, I can run it without issues if MIX_ENV=prod. However, if I do mix test while MIX_ENV=dev, I get an error.

Problem

The error I have is as follows:

18:39:42.101 [error] ** wx object server {:local, WebInterface} terminating
** Last message in was {:"$gen_cast", {:show, &WebInterface.Endpoint.url/0}}
** When Server state == %Desktop.Window{
  module: nil,
  taskbar: nil,
  frame: {:wx_ref, 35, :wxFrame, []},
  notifications: %{},
  webview: {:wx_ref, 49, :wxWebView, []},
  home_url: &WebInterface.Endpoint.url/0,
  last_url: nil,
  title: "Market Manager",
  rebuild: 0,
  rebuild_timer: {:interval, #Reference<0.2679771817.2635857922.255366>}
}
** Reason for termination ==
** {:badarg,
 [
   {:erlang, :binary_to_existing_atom,
    ["Elixir.WebInterface.Endpoint.HTTP", :utf8],
    [error_info: %{module: :erl_erts_errors}]},
   {:elixir_aliases, :safe_concat, 1,
    [file: ~c"src/elixir_aliases.erl", line: 139]},
   {WebInterface.Endpoint, :url, 0,
    [file: ~c"lib/web_interface/endpoint.ex", line: 4]},
   {Desktop.Window, :prepare_url, 1,
    [file: ~c"lib/desktop/window.ex", line: 666]},
   {Desktop.Window, :handle_cast, 2,
    [file: ~c"lib/desktop/window.ex", line: 604]},
   {:wx_object, :handle_msg, 5, [file: ~c"wx_object.erl", line: 493]},
   {:proc_lib, :init_p_do_apply, 3, [file: ~c"proc_lib.erl", line: 241]}
 ]}

Reading this, I understand the problem comes from my application.ex, namely:

@impl true
  def start(_type, _args) do
    children = [
      Telemetry,
      {Phoenix.PubSub, name: PubSub},
      Endpoint,
      Manager,
      %{
        id: Desktop.Window,
        start:
          {Desktop.Window, :start_link,
           [
             [
               app: :web_interface,
               id: WebInterface,
               title: "Market Manager",
               size: WindowUtils.calculate_window_size(0.6, 0.8),
               menubar: MenuBar,
               icon: "static/images/resized_logo_5_32x32.png",
               url: &WebInterface.Endpoint.url/0    # This line seems to be a problem
             ]
           ]},
        restart: :transient,
        shutdown: 5_000
      }
    ]

    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: WebInterface.Supervisor]

    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

After reading more on the subject I changed my config/test.exs to this:

import Config

config :web_interface, WebInterface.Endpoint,
  http: [ip: {127, 0, 0, 1}, port: 4002],
  secret_key_base: "some_key",
  server: true,
  check_origin: false

But this still does not fix the issue.

In contrast, this is my config/prod.exs:

config :web_interface, WebInterface.Endpoint,
  http: [ip: {127, 0, 0, 1}, port: 80],
  cache_static_manifest: "priv/static/cache_manifest.json",
  secret_key_base: "some_key",
  check_origin: false,
  server: true

But the issue still occurs.

Questions

  • Why am I having this issue?
  • How can I fix it?

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Answer

Turns out that in a previous launch of the application, wxWidgets (the process) had exited in a bad state. Perhaps it crashed or something else happened, but what matters here is that trying to restart it was impossible.

I had to restart my machine to start everything in a new clean state.
I also deleted the _build folder to be sure.

This solved the issue.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

ClaudiaGiv
I have a sveltekit project that is using GoTrue library for authentication. In development mode (npm run dev) everything works but when I...
New
The_Exile
I am new to programming. I started reading Eloquent Javascript 3rd Edition, as the book comes highly recommended as a good place for beg...
/js
New
pillaiindu
I mean, when you render all the HTML at the server side and the data is sent through HTTP requests, except only if some tiny things are d...
New
david-j-m
Hi, have a svelte spa gallery site - repl here. Have a couple of category buttons - Oil on Canvas and WaterColor… Sidebar contains all im...
New
sona11
What is the difference between tuple relational calculus (TRC) and domain relational calculus (DRC)? What distinguishes them from relatio...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a a fresh umbrella project with a Phoenix app inside. To create the app I used the following commands: mix new test_a...
New
Clintonsuck
Hello, I am new and trying to build my first app. So far, everything was going okay, but now I’m stuck and don’t know how to proceed. May...
New
Arpeggio
I have the following HTML structure, which is dynamically rendered from a Sightly (HTL) page in a new AEM component we’re building, so I ...
New
jaeyson
would it be backwards if I’m learning react? last time I used UI library (aside from LiveView) was Elm (not much) and that was eons ago.
New
selamibaba
I maintain a content website built around a fixed domain of 78 unique items. This is the current overview page showing the complete data...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New