AstonJ

AstonJ

Erlang's not installing on macOS Big Sur "You are natively building Erlang/OTP for a later version of MacOSX than current version"

Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting:

asdf install erlang 23.1.2
Configure failed.
checking OTP version... 23.1.2
configure: error: 

  You are natively building Erlang/OTP for a later version of MacOSX
  than current version (11.0.1). You either need to
  cross-build Erlang/OTP, or set the environment variable
  MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to 11.0.1 (or a lower version).

ERROR: /Users/Aston/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_23.1.2/otp_src_23.1.2/make/configure failed!

Doing:

export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=11.0.1
asdf install erlang 23.1.2 

Does not work for me, and from: https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/master/make/configure.in…

	   test $int_macosx_version != unexpected || {
	   	AC_MSG_ERROR([Unexpected MacOSX version ($macosx_version) returned by 'sw_vers -productVersion'; this configure script probably needs to be updated])
	   }

I see "this configure script probably needs to be updated" so I guess it just means it’s a case of waiting for the team get around to it?

(I’m in no immediate rush so don’t mind waiting…)

Marked As Solved

xalxor

xalxor

Try with this instead:

export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.0

Also Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Erlang bug tracker link: https://bugs.erlang.org/browse/ERL-1407

Specifying deployment target 10.0 worked for me as well in the meantime. According to the metadata of the above ticket, Erlang 23.2 is going to fix the problem.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

BTW yep, Erlang 23.2 doesn’t have the problem.

herminiotorres

herminiotorres

The biggest fear when you update your Mac OS and crash the entire environment, so sad this incompatibility every time they lunch a new version.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

Kurisu
Hello, Please, let’s say I have a website with user authentication made with Elixir/Phoenix, and now want to add a forum to it (using a ...
New
dimitarvp
Hey everyone, I resumed work on my Elixir <=> SQLite library (which uses a Rust NIF underneath) and I am in a need of small and we...
New
New
TwistingTwists
Hello Folks, I am a novice developer from India. Intending to learn Elixir and web apps (phoenix framework). What are things that I MUS...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background PS: the following situation describes an hypothetical scenario, where I own a company that sells things to customers. I have ...
New
sona11
In Java, if I try to do.equals() on a null string, a null pointer error is issued. I’m wondering whether I can perform the following if I...
New
sona11
I wrote this code to calculate Fibonacci numbers by specifying the size. The results are correct, however the one thing that concerns me ...
New
harwind
I have a large SQL database with millions of records, and I’ve identified duplicate entries. What’s the most efficient way to find and re...
New
pillaiindu
What is the difference between using :references and :belongs_to in the following command? bin/rails generate scaffold LineItem product:...
New
jaeyson
Hi! I have clarifications (please correct me, as I mostly mix/confuse this details) with the following: The term RAG here where it read...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New