pjamesrud

pjamesrud

Android app, using a loop value to set visibilty and add data to textview?

I am creating an app that allows user to enter values and depending on the value a number of textviews are changed programmatically from gone to visible.
In the xml file there is TV!,TV2 and TV3, The user enters a couple of numbers from previous activity and these are used to set the visibility of the TV1,TV2 and TV3 textviews

Example:
            User enters 2.
Using a for loop 
        for (int i = 0; i<= userinput; i++){
          showTV = "TV"+(i);
          showTV.setVisibility(View.VISIBLE);
          showTV.setText(String.valueOf(list1.get(1)));

But I can not get the textview’s Id to be recognized using the i value

Can it be done this way or is this the wrong direction.

First Post!

Veeran

Veeran

It seems like you’re on the right track, but there’s a small mistake in your approach. When trying to dynamically set the visibility of TextViews based on user input, you should use the resource identifier (R.id) to access the TextViews rather than concatenating a string.

You can achieve this by creating an array of TextViews in your Java code that corresponds to the TextViews in your XML layout. Then, you can iterate through this array to set the visibility of TextViews based on the user input. Here’s a simplified example:

// Assuming you have TextViews in your XML with IDs TV1, TV2, and TV3
TextView tvArray = new TextView{findViewById(R.id.TV1), findViewById(R.id.TV2), findViewById(R.id.TV3)};

int userInput = 2; // Example user input

for (int i = 0; i <= userInput; i++) {
tvArray[i].setVisibility(View.VISIBLE);
tvArray[i].setText(String.valueOf(list1.get(i))); // Assuming list1 contains the values you want to set
}

Best Regards

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

New
jubocade
What is the best course of front end (live webinars or recorded)? So I already have basic understanding of HTML CSS JS and React but I wa...
New
The_Exile
I am new to programming. I started reading Eloquent Javascript 3rd Edition, as the book comes highly recommended as a good place for beg...
/js
New
pavanforza
I have a requirement to extract data from firebase which is used to build serverless applications. Can we connect Firebase no-sql databa...
New
sona11
I have a 1D array of numbers and need help splitting them into groups using a jagged array so that I can perform a series of computations...
New
prego4444
how can i make a border like this to be exactly on the midle of the edge? i could only found border in inside and outside but nothing on ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a fresh umbrella app and I am trying to create a Phoenix app inside it. However, even though I can create the Phoenix a...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have Phoenix umbrella application. When inside said application, I can run it without issues if MIX_ENV=prod. However, if I ...
New
PickyBiker
I have done small amounts of programming for IOS and for Android, but now I need to create something that works with both. What are the ...
New
wilsoc31
First time building an app. It will run for Android and also for iPhone 15 but will not for iPod. Not sure why or where to even begin. ...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New