pdarnowsky

pdarnowsky

The Ray Tracer Challenge: use of a type code (pg. 3-4)

@jamis

After introducing the ideas of tuples, vectors, and points, the book goes on to say:

But looking at (4, -4, 3) and (-4, 4, -3) , it’s impossible to know that one is a point
and the other is a vector. Let’s add a fourth component to these (x, y, z) tuples,
called w , to help us tell them apart. Set w to 1 for points, and 0 for vectors.
Thus, your point becomes (4, -4, 3, 1) , and your vector becomes (-4, 4, -3, 0) .
Now, the choice of 0 or 1 for w probably seems arbitrary just now, but sit
tight! It’ll make more sense when you get to Chapter 3, Matrices, on page 25,
where it turns out to be rather important for multiplying matrices and tuples.

This advice seems misguided to me, as it amounts to using the fourth component as a type code, and not even a symbolic one–you just have to remember that 1.0 in the fourth component means a vector and 0.0 indicates a point. Especially given that this book appears to be aimed towards fairly junior developers, that’s not a practice we should be encouraging.

I agree that it’s necessary to differentiate between vectors and points, and the best way to do it depends largely on the language you’re using. That said, every mainstream language that I know of has a better way to do that than what is suggested here.

First Post!

srmo

srmo

@jamis

I feel this. But let me give my two cents. I’m coding in Java.
I’ve just started the book today and got stuck when it came to implementation of the different operations on Tuples, Points and Vectors.

TL;DR: in the end, the current description in the book allows for two main points:

  • it has me thinking really hard on what the best approach is. And in the spirit of TDD, I came to the realisation that the stage I’m in now needs me to not overthink all of that too early and go with the flow and trust the process.
  • the loose description gives you the full freedom. Sticking to only point and vector is a too narrow view. Using Tuple with the convenient “w” component allows for a broader understanding of the underlying mechanisms

Here’s a more detailed description of what happened to me:
I’ve started immediately with a type system, Tuple, Point and Vector. Now, may it be to language restrictions or inherently complex design, implementing the different rules per Type seemed to create an enormous mess. I.e. is Tuple allowed to add two “points” but the Point type isn’t? Does each type need an extra implementation to return the correct type, depending on the operation (e.g. returning a vector when adding point+vector)?
Does every type have to implement this? The inheritence tree looks like garbage after a few tries.
From my point of view: using narrow types requires much more design skill from a beginner developer and is more prone to end up in a mess that is really hard to refactor your way out of.
Using a “flag” on a single type is way easier for the initial design.

My current solution is to just stick to the Tuple type with some convenience methods. This is clean and I expect most flexibility with this approach.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab) Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_p...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
herminiotorres
Hi! I know not the intentions behind this narrative when called, on page XI: mount() |> handle_event() |> render() but the correc...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New

Sub Categories: