hgkjshegfskef

hgkjshegfskef

The Ray Tracer Challenge: cannot pass scaling test (page 69-70)

The test is as follows:

Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray
Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1))
And s ← sphere()
When set_transform(s, scaling(2, 2, 2))
And xs ← intersect(s, r)
Then xs.count = 2
And xs[0].t = 3
And xs[1].t = 7

However, I get 1.5 and 3.5 respectively.

Looks like I have some misunderstanding about how to do the calculations, because both on paper and in the code I arrive at the same conclusion. So, I will write out my intermediate calculations.

We start by creating a scaling matrix, which is the transformation attached to the sphere:

2 0 0 0
0 2 0 0
0 0 2 0
0 0 0 1

Then we invert it (since we need to transform the ray by the inverse of sphere’s transformation):

0.5   0   0  0
0   0.5   0  0     = F
0     0 0.5  0
0     0   0  1

Then we multiply original ray’s point component with it and get:

    0       0
F * 0  =    0
   -5    -2.5

Then we multiply original ray’s vector component with it and get:

    0       0
F * 0  =    0
    1     0.5

So, our new Ray is { Point(0,0,-2.5), Vector(0,0,0.5) }, which is a point that lies on Z axis, looking towards the sphere.

To demonstrate that the algorithm for finding intersections between ray and sphere is correct (without writing it out here), we calculate it backwards: we know that the sphere is radius 1, centered at (0,0,0). My intersections are: 1.5, 3.5, which are distances from ray origin (-2.5) to points on the sphere. -2.5 + 1.5 = -1 and -2.5 + 3.5 = 1, 1 - (-1) = 2, which is the sphere diameter, so it makes sense? Or does it?

Marked As Solved

jamis

jamis

Author of Mazes for Programmers and 1 other title

Hey, I’m glad you found a solution! However, I feel like there may be a deeper issue here. The approach described in the book (transforming the ray by the inverse of the sphere’s transformation matrix, and then running the ray/sphere intersection as described) really should have “just worked”. The fact that you got t values that were half what was expected suggests that at some point maybe you were using the original ray origin/direction somewhere, or perhaps using the wrong transformation matrix?

Ultimately, as long as you’re getting the right answer now, it’s all good. I just worry that you may be doing more work than is necessary to obtain those t values, which may come back to bite you later in the book when render times grow longer and longer and every computation counts.

I’d be happy to take a look at your code if its available somewhere, if that would be helpful.

Also Liked

hgkjshegfskef

hgkjshegfskef

Helo Jamis, thank you for the reply and for the idea for the solution. The problem was with the implementation of quadratic equation solver, in particular, I was normalizing the direction vector of the transformed ray after converting it into object space. Lessons learned: don’t try to be too smart and go to wikipedia to implement line-sphere intersection according to their formula, just implement pseudocode from the book.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
New
jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
Henrai
Hi, I’m working on the Chapter 8 of the book. After I add add the point_offset, I’m still able to see acne: In the image above, I re...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New

Sub Categories: