robcat2075

robcat2075

The Ray Tracer Challenge: Inversion of Rotation trouble

Title: Ray Trace Challenge: Inversion pg 49

I have gotten all my code (including my matrix multiplication and inversion routines) to pass the prescribed tests up through page 48, where we begin rotating on the X axis.

My code creates the desired result for the “half quarter” and “full quarter” rotations on the X axis.

However, on page 49 there is this last test proposed for the X rotations…

Next, add another test showing that the inverse of this rotation matrix simply
rotates in the opposite direction.

By an inversion, I do not get a rotation in the opposite direction. Instead, the point gets moved to 0,0,0

The matrix after the original PI/4 rotation operation looks like this…

Rotation PI/4.0 matrix values
        Matrix values
        | 1.0000        | 0.0000        | 0.0000        | 0.0000        |
        | 0.0000        | 0.7071         | -0.7071        | 0.0000        |
        | 0.0000        | 0.7071         | 0.7071          | 0.0000        |
        | 0.0000        | 0.0000       | 0.0000        | 1.0000        |

That matrix produces the desired result when multiplied by the tuple that represents the 0,1,0 starting point.

If I apply Inversion to that matrix, as the book directs, I get this matrix…

Rotation PI/4.0 matrix INVERTED values
        Matrix values
        | 1.0000         | 0.0000       | 0.0000        | 0.0000       |
        | 0.0000        | 0.0000       | 0.0000        | 0.0000       |
        | 0.0000        | 0.0000       | 0.0000        | 0.0000       |
        | 0.0000        | 0.0000       | 0.0000        | 1.0000        |

When multiplied by the 0,1,0 Tuple, this does not produce an opposite rotation, the Tuple is placed at 0,0,0.

Elsewhere on the internet I have read the correct way to reverse a rotation matrix is to transpose it.

Indeed, if I use my Transpose routine on the original rotation Matrix I get a matrix that produces a correct opposite rotation…

Rotation PI/4.0 matrix TRANSPOSED values
        Matrix values
        | 1.0000        | 0.0000      | 0.0000      | 0.0000       |
        | 0.0000       | 0.7071       | 0.7071       | 0.0000       |
        | 0.0000       | -0.7071      | 0.7071       | 0.0000       |
        | 0.0000       | 0.0000       | 0.0000     | 1.0000        |

Rotation PI/4.0  TRANSPOSED point values
values:         x= 0.000        y= 0.707        z= -0.707       w= 1

However, after searching this forum I have not seen any mention that the direction to invert rather than tranpose in this instance is a typo or other error.

What am I doing wrong?

First Post!

robcat2075

robcat2075

Hold it… false alarm… I think.

Just by chance I caught a line of code where I was loading a double value into an int variable.

Fixing that has made the inverted rotation result come out correctly.

I wish I knew enough about matrix math to know why the wrong version was good enough for all the tests except that inverted rotation.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
gilesdotcodes
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions: In Gemfile, change gem 'rails' t...
New
New
Charles
In general, the book isn’t yet updated for Phoenix version 1.6. On page 18 of the book, the authors indicate that an auto generated of ro...
New
adamwoolhether
Is there any place where we can discuss the solutions to some of the exercises? I can figure most of them out, but am having trouble with...
New
akraut
The markup used to display the uploaded image results in a Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError error. lib/pento_web/live/product_l...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
New
davetron5000
Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and ar...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New

Sub Categories: