AstonJ

AstonJ

Onivim 2 Code Editor

Thanks to @foxtrottwist’s and @Tomas’s posts in this thread: Poll: Which code editor do you use? I bought Onivim! :nerd_face:

https://onivim.io/assets/images/editor.png

I’m liking what the Onivim team has done so far and I love the idea of a modern Vim with the niceties of modern code editors.

If you want to check it out you can build it yourself: Installation · Onivim 2 User Manual or get a license at a pre-launch discount (or via a patreon).

I’m looking forward to seeing it progress and hearing what others think about it too :smiley:

Most Liked

foxtrottwist

foxtrottwist

@AstonJ has it or do think it will become your daily driver?

AstonJ

AstonJ

I hope it will :nerd_face:

Currently I’ve been using it just while going through the exercises in Programming Erlang, and once it becomes more stable will start to use it more (it’s not given me an issues so far).

Part of the reason for setting up our new Code Editors section is to try and post some feedback and suggestions as well, hopefully the Onivim team will be receptive to ideas.

For instance currently you can’t use macOS CMD C/V, you can in MacVim but I am on the fence whether it should be included - on the one hand it will make it easier for people to get going with Onivim, but on the other people may not fully adopt the Vim way. I need to use it more before making suggestions surround things like this tbh.

One thing I really like to see tho is a permissions pop-up whenever Onivim wants to connect to the internet. Something I hate about VSCode is it wants to connect to the web every few minutes. I don’t want my code editor connecting to the internet in order to function - sometimes I am editing sensitive files and don’t want any part of them accidentally sent to any third party via a crash report or something like that. I think having a ‘security focused’ angle could rally help it stand out - even if that’s just by notifying users of when it wants to connect, what data is being sent and received, etc. Ideally Onivim would act as a gate-keeper (like LittleSnitch) and all you to deny or approve the request.

But that’s stuff to look at further down the line - so far I am loving it! :+1:

neutronstein

neutronstein

Hi @bryphe. Just purchased it :smiley: . Good to know that there is still a lifetime purchase. I prefer that to monthly payment :grin:
Again thank you and your team for this amazing work :wink:. I will, eventually, try to contribute if I can.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

New
New
AstonJ
If you would prefer your file tree to be on the right hand side in Onivim, just: CTRL (or CMD) + SHIFT + P Then start to type config th...
New
First poster: bot
What you need to know before try Emacs. When it comes to Emacs, every programmer should have heard its name more or less. After all, Ema...
New
New
First poster: bot
Welcome to the second part of this series aimed to make you a better Vim user! If you have no idea about Vim, you should begin with the f...
New
First poster: bot
Download and play .puz crossword puzzles in Emacs. Includes a browser to view puzzles’ detailed metadata, including progress of partially...
New
First poster: bot
Wheel is a navigation plugin for Vim and Neovim. It is buffer group oriented and makes abundant use of special buffers, in which you can ...
New
First poster: bot
Feature Packed Everything you need to get started without any configuration. A completely usable editor, right out of the box. Text-base...
New
CommunityNews
Neorg is a tool designed to reimagine organization as you know it. Neo - new, org - organization. Grab some coffee, start writing some no...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New