zdybak

zdybak

The Ray Tracer Challenge: reflection tests 4 and 5 failing

@jamis

I’m getting odd values for my color calculations in tests 4 and 5 in the reflection section-

github.com/zdybak/ray

The tests are line in world.rs starting on lines 349 and 367

I’ve put in some debug statements in shade_hit to see what’s going on-

Blockquote

---- world::tests::reflected_color_of_reflective_material stdout ----
Hit detected shadow:true with surface: Color { red: 0.08000000000000002, green: 0.1, blue: 0.06 }
and reflected: Color { red: 0.0, green: 0.0, blue: 0.0 }
results in : Color { red: 0.08000000000000002, green: 0.1, blue: 0.06 }
Hit detected shadow:true with surface: Color { red: 0.1, green: 0.1, blue: 0.1 }
and reflected: Color { red: 0.04000000000000001, green: 0.05, blue: 0.03 }
results in : Color { red: 0.14, green: 0.15000000000000002, blue: 0.13 }
thread ‘world::tests::reflected_color_of_reflective_material’ panicked at ‘assertion failed: (left == right)
left: Color { red: 0.07, green: 0.07500000000000001, blue: 0.065 },
right: Color { red: 0.19032, green: 0.2379, blue: 0.14274 }’, src\world.rs:345:9
note: run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 environment variable to display a backtrace

---- world::tests::shade_hit_with_reflective_material stdout ----
Hit detected shadow:true with surface: Color { red: 0.08000000000000002, green: 0.1, blue: 0.06 }
and reflected: Color { red: 0.0, green: 0.0, blue: 0.0 }
results in : Color { red: 0.08000000000000002, green: 0.1, blue: 0.06 }
Hit detected shadow:true with surface: Color { red: 0.1, green: 0.1, blue: 0.1 }
and reflected: Color { red: 0.04000000000000001, green: 0.05, blue: 0.03 }
results in : Color { red: 0.14, green: 0.15000000000000002, blue: 0.13 }
Hit detected shadow:true with surface: Color { red: 0.1, green: 0.1, blue: 0.1 }
and reflected: Color { red: 0.07, green: 0.07500000000000001, blue: 0.065 }
results in : Color { red: 0.17, green: 0.17500000000000002, blue: 0.165 }
thread ‘world::tests::shade_hit_with_reflective_material’ panicked at ‘assertion failed: (left == right)
left: Color { red: 0.17, green: 0.17500000000000002, blue: 0.165 },
right: Color { red: 0.87677, green: 0.92436, blue: 0.82918 }’, src\world.rs:363:9

Blockquote

It looks to me like the green of the default world sphere is instantly only getting ambient because it’s coming up as in shadow, but if the ray is cast down and bouncing up to the bottom of the sphere then I think that’s correct anyway?

Neither of my calculated colors (left side) are even close though.

Marked As Solved

zdybak

zdybak

The issue turned out to be my implementation of planes was not applying local translations to the ray, and basically the plane transform was being ignored. (It became quite clear after rendering the image and seeing the plane bisect the sphere).

More details are listed in the old book forum - Chapter 11 Test #4 and #5 | The Ray Tracer Challenge

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

johnp
Running the examples in chapter 5 c under pytest 5.4.1 causes an AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘config’. In particula...
New
telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
gilesdotcodes
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions: In Gemfile, change gem 'rails' t...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
hgkjshegfskef
The test is as follows: Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1)) And s ← sphere...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
andreheijstek
After running /bin/setup, the first error was: The foreman' command exists in these Ruby versions: That was easy to fix: gem install fore...
New

Other popular topics Top

brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New

Sub Categories: