FPChris

FPChris

The Ray Tracer Challenge: Page 130 Wall

@jamis

Page 130 I render the wall ok by rotating the plane in x PI/2 as he says to do on page 125.
However I get a massive shadow across the entire wall. Why is that happening?

Seen here : https://www.scfdev.com/test/render1.png

First Post!

jamis

jamis

Author of Mazes for Programmers and 1 other title

Hmm! Maybe a self-intersection? Although it doesn’t look dark enough for a shadow. Compare that with how dark the spheres’ shadows are. I wonder if it’s actually something in the shading calculation?

The best way to track this is to do something like the following:

  1. Find the <x,y> pixel coordinates of a point in your image that’s misbehaving. (This could be any of the pixels in the image that are showing the shadow in question.)

  2. Run your render for just that pixel.

  3. Add a breakpoint (or a bunch of print statements, if you’re like me) when you cast your shadow rays, and see what object they’re intersecting. (I suspect they’re not intersecting anything, but this will tell you for sure.) If there are no intersections, do this again but with a breakpoint/print in the shading routing, and step through it, looking at the computed values there.

Given that the darker shade seems to appear right about eye-level, I suspect there might be something in how your reflection vector is being computed?

If none of that helps, let me know where you’ve got your code hosted and I’d be happy to take a look and see if anything jumps out at me.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

Mmm
Hi, build fails on: bracket-lib = “~0.8.1” when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0: Compiling winit v0.22.2 error[E0308]: mi...
New
raul
Page 28: It implements io.ReaderAt on the store type. Sorry if it’s a dumb question but was the io.ReaderAt supposed to be io.ReadAt? ...
New
herminiotorres
Hi! I know not the intentions behind this narrative when called, on page XI: mount() |&gt; handle_event() |&gt; render() but the correc...
New
jeremyhuiskamp
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9) The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
jskubick
I’m running Android Studio “Arctic Fox” 2020.3.1 Patch 2, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I only made it to page 8 before running into ...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
hgkjshegfskef
The test is as follows: Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1)) And s ← sphere...
New
gorkaio
root_layout: {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root}, This results in the following following error: no “root” html template defined for PentoWeb...
New
dachristenson
@mfazio23 Android Studio will not accept anything I do when trying to use the Transformations class, as described on pp. 140-141. Googl...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New

Sub Categories: