frasette

frasette

A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms, Second Edition: erroneous extra space complexity (page400)

A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms, Second Edition by Jay Wengrow @jaywengrow

Hi,

I have the paperback version of the book.

On page 400, in the paragraph Magically Looking Up Authors, for the solution with nested loops, it is said (as stated on page 403) that “the algorithm didn’t take up any extra space at all”. This is the code written in the book:

def connect_books_with_authors(books, authors)
   books_with_authors = []

   books.each do |book|
      authors.each do |author|
         if book["author_id"] == author["author_id"]
            books_with_authors << 
               {title: book["title"],
               author: author["name"]}
            end
         end
      end

   return books_with_authors
end

I think that, building the array books_with_authors, requires exactly an additional N space. So

  • Space Complexity here, would be described as O(N).

Consequently, for the second solution in the next paragraph Bringing in the Extra Data Structure, the code written in the book on page 402:

def connect_books_with_authors(books, authors)
   books_with_authors = []
   author_hash_table = {}
   
   # Convert author data into author hash table
   authors.each do |author|
      author_hash_table[ author["author_id"] ] = author["name"]
   end

   books.each do |book|
      books_with_authors << 
         {"title" => book["title"],
          "author" => author_hash_table[ book["author_id"] ] }
   end

   return books_with_authors
end

here the Space Complexity, would be described as O(N+M) and not O(M) as written in it. Where:

  • N would be the Extra Space required for building the array books_with_authors;
  • M would be the Extra Space required for building the hash table author_hash_table.

Considering also that in both codes above, the given arrays are books and authors, and any other additional structure as new arrays or new hash tables require extra space in memory.

Please, can you tell me what do you think about it? Many thanks!

Marked As Solved

jaywengrow

jaywengrow

Author of A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms

Thanks for submitting this!

I think what I meant here by “extra” space is the additional space taken up in addition to the space needed to solve the actual problem. That is, the goal of these functions is to produce an array containing data. So, we have to use up a certain amount of space in order to solve a problem - there’s no way to get around that. However, the text is focusing on the “extra” space - that is additional space consumed that isn’t part of the actual output of the function.

Perhaps I can help clarify the wording here in a future version.

Thanks again,
Jay

Also Liked

frasette

frasette

I posted many questions because in the book, your smooth and clear explanation of every topics, helped me to take a critic look to everything. You’re a master. Thanks for your book! :wink:

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
nicoatridge
Hi, I have just acquired Michael Fazio’s “Kotlin and Android Development” to learn about game programming for Android. I have a game in p...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
hgkjshegfskef
The test is as follows: Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1)) And s ← sphere...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
rainforest
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels. Before ...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New

Sub Categories: