jskubick

jskubick

Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack: Error in generated Game.java (page 136)

I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to build without errors.

Reasons for the assumption:

  • The Database Inspector ISN’T appearing (as far as I can tell, in Arctic Fox, it was moved to the “App Inspection” tab and no longer exists as a Tool window of its own).

  • I assume the act of successfully building and running the app is what creates and populates the database on the emulator, and…

  • once that database exists, Android Studio notices it & reveals the Database Inspector functionality.

There are no visible errors in the sourcecode itself (no red squiggly lines in any editable source files, no red marks along the right margin), but I’m getting a slew of errors in the generated app/build/tmp/kapt3/stubs/debug/dev/mfazio/pennydrop/data/Game.java class, PennyDropDao.java, and Player.java (note: all are *.java and presumably generated, the *.kt files seem to be fine) that I’m not sure how to troubleshoot:

C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:7: warning: There are multiple good constructors and Room will pick the no-arg constructor. You can use the @Ignore annotation to eliminate unwanted constructors.
public final class Game {
             ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:11: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final dev.mfazio.pennydrop.data.GameState gameState = null;
                                                      ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:13: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final java.time.OffsetDateTime startTime = null;
                                           ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:15: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final java.time.OffsetDateTime endTime = null;
                                           ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:17: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final java.util.List<java.lang.Integer> filledSlots = null;
                                                    ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:19: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final java.lang.Integer lastRoll = null;
                                    ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:21: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final java.lang.String currentTurnText = null;
                                   ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:22: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final boolean canRoll = false;
                          ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:23: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final boolean canPass = false;
                          ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:7: warning: There are multiple good constructors and Room will pick the no-arg constructor. You can use the @Ignore annotation to eliminate unwanted constructors.
public final class Game {
             ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:11: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final dev.mfazio.pennydrop.data.GameState gameState = null;
                                                      ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:13: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final java.time.OffsetDateTime startTime = null;
                                           ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:15: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final java.time.OffsetDateTime endTime = null;
                                           ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:17: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final java.util.List<java.lang.Integer> filledSlots = null;
                                                    ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:19: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final java.lang.Integer lastRoll = null;
                                    ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:21: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final java.lang.String currentTurnText = null;
                                   ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:22: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final boolean canRoll = false;
                          ^
C:\src\experiments\android\PennyDrop\app\build\tmp\kapt3\stubs\debug\dev\mfazio\pennydrop\data\Game.java:23: error: Cannot find setter for field.
    private final boolean canPass = false;
                          

Any idea which class to even start looking at to figure out what’s wrong? I’m guessing I forgot an annotation somewhere… or possibly, in an attempt to fix an earlier typo problem by copying files from the .zip file, might have created a bigger one by prematurely copying something mentioned later in the chapter that’s now triggering the error above by expecting the presence of something that officially hasn’t been added yet as of page 136.

For what it’s worth, it looks like the following methods of PennyDropDao.kt haven’t yet been mentioned as of page 136, but are in the .zip file’s version, and the references to them by the lines added prior to page 136 will generate errors in PennyDropDao.kt itself unless they’re added:

getPlayer()
insertGame()
insertPlayer()
insertPlayers()
updateGame()

According to WinMerge, my versions of Converters.kt, Game.kt, GameState.kt, GameStatus.kt, PennyDropDatabase.kt, and PennyDropRepository.kt are presently identical to the versions in the zipfile.

As far as I can recall, my copy of PennyDropDao.kt was identical, until I commented the methods out, then went through chapter 5 from the start and moved the methods from inside the comment block to the outside in the order they’re mentioned in the chapter. That’s how I noticed that 5 methods listed above were referenced by the code, but not mentioned yet as of page 136… they were still in the comment block as of page 136.

Marked As Solved

mfazio23

mfazio23

Author of Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack

Jeff, I think I got it. The book was written against Room 2.3.0-beta01 which doesn’t play nice with Kotlin 1.5.30. If you upgrade your Room dependency to 2.3.0, it should work without trouble.

Please let me know either way!

Also Liked

mfazio23

mfazio23

Author of Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack

Hey Jeff,
I’m looking through what you have here and I’m trying to figure out what’s going on.

The first thing I want to hit are those five functions from PennyDropDao. All five are on pages 118 and 119 when we first create the abstract class. Are these the functions you’re referencing here?

The issue with the Game class looks familiar from my initial development work, though I do not remember what caused that specific problem. Could you share what your Game class looks like? And an offer: if you wanted to upload your work to GitHub or something similar, I’d be willing to troubleshoot things that way with you. I want to make sure you can get as much as possible out of the book.

For reference, you’re right on point with the *.java files being generated. :+1: Also, you’re correct on the Database Inspector being moved in Arctic Fox. I’m really starting to dislike this new Android Studio update.

Let me know on your Game class (and if you want to put the whole project out somewhere I can access it) and we’ll go from there!

jskubick

jskubick

OK, that fixed it. Thanks!!!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
brianokken
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
patoncrispy
I’m new to Rust and am using this book to learn more as well as to feed my interest in game dev. I’ve just finished the flappy dragon exa...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
Charles
In general, the book isn’t yet updated for Phoenix version 1.6. On page 18 of the book, the authors indicate that an auto generated of ro...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
Henrai
Hi, I’m working on the Chapter 8 of the book. After I add add the point_offset, I’m still able to see acne: In the image above, I re...
New
gorkaio
root_layout: {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root}, This results in the following following error: no “root” html template defined for PentoWeb...
New

Other popular topics Top

brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New

Sub Categories: