creminology

creminology

Real Time Phoenix Errata P17: Getting first sample working with Phoenix 1.6.x

Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their first app not working without making some changes under the latest versions of Phoenix.

mix phx.new hello_sockets --no-ecto --no-live --no-dashboard --no-mailer
cd hello_sockets
mix phx.gen.channel Ping

Permit the generator to create the default socket handler, and follow the instructions to add it to the HelloSocketsWeb.Endpoint module. Also follow the instructions to import user_socket.js by uncommenting the line in assets/js/app.js.

Inside assets/js/user.socket.js, change the name of the channel being joined from “room:42” to “ping”.

Inside HelloSocketsWeb.PingChannel, change the first parameter of join/3 from “ping:lobby” to “ping”.

Inside HelloSocketsWeb.PingChannel, change the channel named “ping:*” to “ping”

In another thread, the author suggests pinning the version of Elixir and Phoenix so as to match the book. But I think it’s important that readers have confidence that they can immediately apply what they learn from this book in their own projects using the latest version of Phoenix.

I took the decision to add the “–no-live” flag when creating the Phoenix app in case having LiveView integrated made things more confusing. In previous versions of Phoenix, one had to explicitly add LiveView; now it comes as a default without the flag.

Most Liked

creminology

creminology

I think it would be great if you could persuade PragProg to let you publish a Github repository of the code; ideally the original code with the commits to make it compatible with Phoenix 1.6.x.

The link to the zipped code repository is on their book page so it’s not as if it’s hidden from non-purchasers. Perhaps they didn’t want to deal with readers posting issues directly to Github.

I do think the book needs some kind of statement or sidebar about why it still has value even in a world where everyone seems to be adopting LiveView. Even if LiveView is introduced later!

One key reason I picked up the book again, which I bought in September 2019, is that I noticed you were still engaging with readers on this forum. So I do appreciate your feedback.

sb8244

sb8244

Author of From Ruby to Elixir and Real-Time Phoenix

I appreciate this report, and it will definitely be addressed in the next update (although I’m not sure when that will be).

Pinning the version is great for people that just want to work through the content, because 99.8% of it hasn’t changed. But I do agree that using the latest version is generally “best” if the user can handle the warnings / upgrade path.

Few thoughts on differences that I know off the top:

  • PubSub 2.0 breaking changes regarding PubSub creation
  • Test warnings due to use ChannelCase instead of import ChannelCase
  • Generators have changed significantly as LiveView has progressed

I’d love to collect additional breaking changes that cause the book to not compile / work as expected.

creminology

creminology

Replying to myself, if there was an update to the book, I think it would be great if you could extend Part IV with guest-written chapters on how to connect it to other frontends such as Flutter, iOS and Javascript frameworks other than React.

For example, perhaps Paul Hollyer who maintains the elm-phoenix-websocket library, would be up for writing an Elm chapter. The fact that he recently released v4 was another reason I picked up your book again.

It’s not that these additional chapters would necessarily add knowledge on using Phoenix for real-time that isn’t already in your book, but they may introduce experiences and strategies more suited to their specific domains.

Anyway. Thanks again for the book.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
nicoatridge
Hi, I have just acquired Michael Fazio’s “Kotlin and Android Development” to learn about game programming for Android. I have a game in p...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
dsmith42
Hey there, I’m enjoying this book and have learned a few things alredayd. However, in Chapter 4 I believe we are meant to see the “>...
New
akraut
The markup used to display the uploaded image results in a Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError error. lib/pento_web/live/product_l...
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New

Sub Categories: