AstonJ

AstonJ

Poll: Which keyboard layout do you use?

Which keyboard layout do you currently use or use the most? (Single choice)
  • Qwerty
  • Colemak
  • Colemak-DH
  • Colemak-DHm
  • Dvorak
  • Workman
  • MTGAP
  • qgmlwyfub
  • Asset
  • Norman
  • Qwpr
  • Minimak-8
  • Neo
  • other
0 voters
Which would you like to try? (multiple choice)
  • Qwerty
  • Colemak
  • Colemak-DH
  • Colemak-DHm
  • Dvorak
  • Workman
  • MTGAP
  • qgmlwyfub
  • Asset
  • Norman
  • Qwpr
  • Minimak-8
  • Neo
  • other
0 voters

Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-ups on keyboard layouts I’ve seen!


Here’s a good site that has a neat analysis tool:

https://colemakmods.github.io/mod-dh/analyze.html

The Colemaks and Workman seem most interesting to me…


Our keyboards portal:

Most Liked

foxtrottwist

foxtrottwist

I tried Dvorak and Workman before landing on Colemak and eventually Mod-DHm.

Colemak just felt the most natural and comfortable. Mod-DH is suppose to be an improvement over standard Colemak and Mod-DHm was recommended when using a matrix style keyboard. I cannot truly speak to it being an improvement as I barely used standard Colemak before switching to it, but I certainly find it enjoyable.

I’ve seen some specific layout mods for programmers for both Dvorak and Colemak. However, I feel once you get a keyboard like the Atreus or Moonlander, really you can optimize your layout to improve your particular workflow.

Here’s my Atreus layout. My layout for the Moonlander mirrors this with a few bells and whistles since of course there more keys. Though, any key that I would access regularly is still placed on the three main rows and thumb clusters.

Dusty

Dusty

I would second those who’ve advised bringing a keyboard. A nice 60% travels easily and eliminates any need to tweak settings or install anything that might affect your colleagues.

foxtrottwist

foxtrottwist

I love the Atreus, but the extra keys will be welcome. The limited real-estate has inspired me to make good use of layers though. This layout was fairly inspirational as well.

I’m in batch 3. I think I was early on in the batch so hopefully in a week or two. But no shipping notice as of yet.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Do you use (or does your dev machine have) a Retina or HiDPI screen? poll Here’s an explanation of what HiDPI is - from Steve Jobs when ...
New
AstonJ
In ear? Over? Noise Cancelling? Brand and model numbers please :nerd_face: Pics always welcome too!
New
hauleth
This post is a followup of @AstonJ request here. We should start with some basis before we talk further - keyboard is in most cases the ...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from What monitor(s) do you have for programming? - just wondering if anyone has used blue light blockers or gl...
New
First poster: bot
One of the questions I often come back to is this: how much of our collective wealth is inherited by our generations versus created by ou...
New
First poster: bot
Ultra-high-density hard drives made with graphene store ten times more data. Graphene can be used for ultra-high density hard disk drive...
New
First poster: GermaVinsmoke
Apple and Intel will be the first customers for TSMC’s 3nm process, reports the Nikkei, with Intel securing the higher volume. The proce...
New
First poster: bot
A brief overview of IBM’s new 7 nm Telum mainframe CPU. A typical Telum-powered mainframe offers 256 cores at a base clock of 5+GHz.
New
First poster: bot
I’m now the proud owner of a new Sony Walkman. Yes, they’re still a thing, and I couldn’t be more chuffed! The photo below shows us Stayi...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New