CraigTreptow

CraigTreptow

The Ray Tracer Challenge: Chapter 7 - Calculating pixel size

Hi. I’m working on this test:

Scenario ​: The pixel size for a horizontal canvas
Given ​ c ← camera(200, 125, π/2)
Then ​ c.pixel_size = 0.01

I’m doing this in Haskell, so I’m pulling the following from a Haskell REPL prompt that is doing the same calculations as my code:

> hs = 200
> vs = 125
> fov = (pi/2)
> 1.5707963267948966

> radians = (fov/2) * (pi/180)
> 1.3707783890401887e-2         ==> (0.013707783)
> ar = (fromIntegral hs) / (fromIntegral vs)
> 1.6
> hv = tan radians
> 1.3708642534394055e-2         ==> (0.01370864253)
> hw = calcHalfWidth ar hv
> 1.3708642534394055e-2         ==> (0.01370864253)
> (hw * 2) / (fromIntegral hs)  ==> (0.02741728506) / 200
1.3708642534394054e-4           ==> (0.00013708642)

I’m trying to track down where this is going wrong, and every time I double check my calculations, I convince myself that they are correct, even though I’m off by so much.

Does anybody see any obvious issues?

Marked As Solved

CraigTreptow

CraigTreptow

I have confirmed the book uses only radians for angles, so after undoing the radian conversion, my answer was actually 9.999999999999998e-3. or 0.009999999. So, I had it all along, but just couldn’t see it.

That’s what a night of sleep and a helpful stranger gets you. :wink:

Also Liked

NobbZ

NobbZ

You are not off. 0.000137 is just another way to write 1.37e-4.

You have to read it as 1.37 * 10 ^ (-4).

It is called scientific notation.

CraigTreptow

CraigTreptow

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. That last calculation is the pixel size, which should equal 0.01. I was just showing the non-scientific notation values by adding the ‘==> (some number)’

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
jeremyhuiskamp
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9) The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
akraut
The markup used to display the uploaded image results in a Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError error. lib/pento_web/live/product_l...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New

Sub Categories: