s2k

s2k

Author of Fast Feedback Using Ruby

Agile Web Development with Rails 7: Reloading assets in development mode

Hi all,

currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work).

For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have this:

<header class="bg-green-600">

and, yes, the header part is indeed green.

But when I change it to, for example

<header class="bg-sky-600">

and reload the page, the background is white. Why is that?
I assumed the examples from the Tailwind docs at https://tailwindcss.com/docs/background-color, can be used elsewhere (read: my local app).
And while that’s true from some of the named colours, it is not for others.
‘bg-blue-700’ yields a strong blue, ‘bg-orange-500’ & ‘bg-fuchsia-600’ is white. A ‘one-off’ colour is also displayed white (or ignored?).

After running

bin/rails assets precompile

these colours are displayed in the browser.
What causes this behaviour? Can it be changed, to get all the colours Tailwind has in store (e.g. also the ‘one-off’ colours such as class="bg-[#50d71e]" (also from the Tailwind docs)?

Cheers
Stephan

Marked As Solved

s2k

s2k

Author of Fast Feedback Using Ruby

Aha, now I see were I went wrong: While, I usually default to using Foreman, I used bin/rails server, which doesn’t watch for Tailwind related changes, while the Procfile.dev does.

It’s nice that bin/dev even installs foreman if it isn’t already there.

Also Liked

rubys

rubys

Author of Agile Web Development With Rails

Short answer: stop your server, run rails assets:clobber, and restart your server.

I guess the question I have to ask: why did you run bin/rails assets:precompile? What that does is to create a static snapshot of your tailwind classes and put the results into your public/assets directory. If that directory exists when the server is started, puma will serve those files and never forward the request to rails at all. The end result is any tailwind classes you try to make use of will be ignored unless they are in that static snapshot.

rubys

rubys

Author of Agile Web Development With Rails

What I did to reproduce the problem:

rails new play --css tailwind
cd play
rails generate scaffold say hello
bin/dev

Adding bg-green-600 to app/views/say/hello.html.erb worked at this point.

Stopping the server, running rails assets:precompile, restarting the server, and then changing the color to bg-sky-600 did not work - the background was white – this matched what you reported.

Stopping the server, running rails assets:clobber, and restarting the server, and I can see the new color. I can then change the color to bg-red-600 and see the results of my change.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
leba0495
Hello! Thanks for the great book. I was attempting the Trie (chap 17) exercises and for number 4 the solution provided for the autocorre...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File &gt; New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New

Latest in Agile Web Development with Rails 7

Agile Web Development with Rails 7 Portal ❯

Sub Categories: