malloryerik

malloryerik

Svelte - what do you think about it?

Any thoughts on Svelte?

Svelte is a radical new approach to building user interfaces. Whereas traditional frameworks like React and Vue do the bulk of their work in the browser , Svelte shifts that work into a compile step that happens when you build your app.

Instead of using techniques like virtual DOM diffing, Svelte writes code that surgically updates the DOM when the state of your app changes.

Most Liked

dorgan

dorgan

I’ve used it, both svelte and sapper.
My opinions:


The good:
It’s reactivity works well, you get used to the special syntax bits very quickly, so don’t be afraid of it.

Overall it’s quite fast, both for those synthetic benchmarks(look at how I render a million dom nodes with my library instead of using canvas!) and for real use cases.

It comes with a state management solution(stores), animations and transitions out of the box.

Sapper makes sense, and is a fast and quite batteries included solution for both SPA and SSR. You can get an decent SPA with SSR website up and running in a couple minutes. Handling cookies can be a bit confusing at first, though.

It’s relatively easy to integrate with other js libraries, I wrote some bindings for prosemirror while learning it and it worked quite fine.


The bad:
It’s output doesn’t work in legacy edge nor older browsers(try to see any NYT article featuring Rich Harris visualisations on an older browser, it just doesn’t load).

There’s no way to access child nodes. If you want to wrap individual childs(say, receive a list of components and wrap each of them in some other component, like you would do with special list items), you can’t.
For example, I created a ListStream component that imitates discourse’s cloaking behaviour(unmount out of screen dom nodes), and I had to pass the list items as a prop for the ListStream to wrap them, which is a horrible workaround in my opinion.
There was a discussion about that in the svelte’s discord when this article was published and there was no solution. Responses from contributors were too defensive from my pov(part of that was valid: the medium article wasn’t particularly good, but it had valid criticism on svelte’s lack of reflection) and ranged from “yes you can” or “why would you do that”, but no examples of how is it possible was given, and it was proven to be impossible.

That discussion and Rich’s responses in his Why I don’t use web components article, where people addressed his criticisms and he replied with snarky comments or refused to continue the discussion left me with a bitter taste. I would like to see more transparency and discussions about svelte’s weak points too, so they can be addressed properly.

Typescript support was bad a couple months ago, though it is supposed to improve sometime in the future.


Overall it’s very good, and it’s worth trying out.

I’m not currently using it though, since I want to render as much html as possible with Elixir Phoenix and custom elements are more suitable for that usecase.

fzngagan

fzngagan

We’re at an opposite end of the spectrum working with Ember.js. Kinda maximalists :wink:

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Sadly never worked with it – just heard a lot of good feedback from JS devs.

It’s kind of like Rust for JS, meaning that it compiles to “native” JS without you having to carry the framework with you. Which I quite like.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

New
MikhailPertsev
Finally, I am going to enhance my css skills! I have always somehow ignored this, but now I finally decided to understand animations, tr...
New
AstonJ
Just discovered AssemblyScript (our portal is here). It…“aims to make it easy to compile to WebAssembly using TypeScript, no strings att...
New
New
mafinar
I (re-)realized I had the book “Modern CSS with Tailwind” bought, never read a page of it until today. With me being a fast reader and th...
New
XSukhpreet
My Favorite tool is figma, It helps a lot in designing .
New
KnowledgeIsPower
It seems it is going to change, currently they forked Next.JS. Now they want to stop forking it and change their project direction.
New
KnowledgeIsPower
Hey, I have migrated by blog from Pelican to Astro (static site generator) Please give comments or feedback, thanks!
New
mtmattei
A few months ago, Uno Platform unveiled Uno Platform for Figma plugin, a plugin created to turn your high-fidelity Figma design into XAML...
New
SynergyRob
I invented a game of double Chess called Synergy Chess. I am not a coder. I hired someone to write the program. People can play online fo...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New