JimmyCarterSon

JimmyCarterSon

Seed Data with Elixir

Hello,

I am working on a new application with Elixir, Dish_out. I want to see Data I follow this tutorial with Elixir Casts. However, I am not sure if what I am doing is correct because my seed file does not work.
My Seed File:

alias DishOut.Recipes

Recipes.insert!(
    %{title: "Mac N Cheese", ingredients: "Elbow Pasta, Milk, Cheese, Heavy cream", summary: "Bring pasta to a boil for 10 mins, drain water, add milk, cream, and cheese in. Stir and allow to cool before consuming.", date: "032022"}
)

In video the moderator alias another file, what is that file?

Marked As Solved

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

There is no insert! function in the Food structure. And Foods should be the module used to create Food struct.

You cannot invent function name, it needs to exists in the file.

  @doc """
  Creates a food.
  ## Examples
      iex> create_food(%{field: value})
      {:ok, %Food{}}
      iex> create_food(%{field: bad_value})
      {:error, %Ecto.Changeset{}}
  """
  def create_food(attrs \\ %{}) do
    %Food{}
    |> Food.changeset(attrs)
    |> Repo.insert()
  end

The closest is this one, and should be used like this…

DishOut.Foods.create_food(attrs)

Also Liked

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Looking at the code… there is no module called Recipes.

One is called Foods, but not Recipes.

Hmm? No error message?

You might test this in the console directly.

JimmyCarterSon

JimmyCarterSon

Yes, Recipes don’t exist. I thought we were creating a new one to seed the file?

What do I reference my Schema which is “Delish_foods”

so would it alias DishOut.Delish_foods?

sorry I am a beginner this si my first time seeding a file in elixir.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

The github repo You are following looks like a beginner repo too.

The right name should be DishOut.Foods.Food

delish_foods is the name of the table.

PS. I did not watch the screencast, so I don’t know what’s in.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
dimitarvp
Hey everyone, I resumed work on my Elixir <=> SQLite library (which uses a Rust NIF underneath) and I am in a need of small and we...
New
Kurisu
Hello and happy new year! I would like to buy a Ruby On Rails ebook for learning purpose. What would be the ROR equivalent of “Programm...
New
sampu
I have a use case where a client is invoking a Rest endpoint via a load balancer, which in turn invokes a third party endpoint which is r...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am now trying Gradual type checking, as a consequence I am giving a shot to Gradient. As I see it, this is an alternative to...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to encode a structure into json format using the Jason library. However, this is not working as expected. Code L...
New
osbre
Hello everyone I’m trying to implement a “magic link” or “one-time login link” functionality I wonder what a secure way to implement it...
New
sona11
In Java, if I try to do.equals() on a null string, a null pointer error is issued. I’m wondering whether I can perform the following if I...
New
sona11
I studied very basic PHP (I believe). After that, I feel like I’ve gotten a handle on the language. My dream is to work as a web develope...
New
pillaiindu
Currently reading the book “Programming Phoenix LiveView”. At the end of the Chapter 1, I’m trying to solve the guess game. If the user ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
New
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New