Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

How to get the top X results of a given category using Ecto?

Background

I have to queries that return a colossal amount of data on their own. I cannot use Repo.all as doing so would materialize these into memory, which would then quickly run out.

So I am trying to push as much as I can to the pSQL DB, and force the DB to do as much work as possible.

My issue starts with 2 queries.

This ones counts fruits and veggies and aggregates everything into a neat map.

all_counts =
      table_A
      |> join(:left, [item_A], item_B in table_B,
        on:
          item_A.home_id == item_B.home_id and
            item_A.path == item_B.path
      )
      |> select([unfiltered_item, filtered_item], %{
        path: item_A.path,
        item_fruits_count: coalesce(item_A.fruits, 0),
        item_veggies_count: coalesce(item_B.veggies, 0),
        dataset_id: item_A.home_id
      })
      |> subquery()

The second one, joins 2 tables as well (items and photos), with nothing fancy:

file_info =
      table_C
      |> join(:inner, [item], file in table_D,
        on:
          item.id == file.item_id and not file.deleted
      )
      |> select([item, file], %{
        item_id: item.id,
        home_id: item.home_id,
        path: item.path,
        photo_key: file.photo_key
      })
      |> subquery()

Problem

Now the problem is that I need to merge these 2 together.
At first, one would think to do something like this:

result =
      all_counts
      |> join(:inner, [c], f in ^file_info, on: c.home_id == f.home_id and c.path == f.path)
      |> select([c, f], %{
        item_id: f.item_id,
        home_id: f.home_id,
        path: f.path,
        photo_key: f.photo_key,
        # ... you get the idea
      })
      |> Repo.all()

But this creates an issue, namely, the it will return so much data, the machines will run out of memory.

Approach

The approach I am using to solve this problem is to group items by home_id and path (since that is unique for each destination) and then return only a portion of the data I need, lets say, the top 3 items ordered by id.

Source:

Here is where my difficulties begin.
I cannot use pSQL directly, I must use Ecto (for reasons beyond this post).

Normally I would use CTEs or row_number():

With ctes:

 WITH cte AS
  ( SELECT name, value,
           ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY name
                              ORDER BY value DESC
                             )
             AS rn
    FROM t
  )
SELECT name, value, rn
FROM cte
WHERE rn <= 3
ORDER BY name, rn ;

With row_number:

SELECT name, value, rn
FROM 
  ( SELECT name, value,
           ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY name
                              ORDER BY value DESC
                             )
             AS rn
    FROM t
  ) tmp 
WHERE rn <= 3
ORDER BY name, rn ; 

However, I am not familiar enough with Ecto to know how to use them.

With CTEs, I understand I should avoid them, as they serve no purpose in Ecto:
https://hexdocs.pm/ecto/Ecto.Query.html#with_cte/3

With row_number() I would need to partition by both home_id and path (2 fields) instead of one:
https://hexdocs.pm/ecto/Ecto.Query.WindowAPI.html#row_number/0

Question

How do I get the result, to return the top 3 results, grouped by home_id and path and ordered by item_id using Ecto?

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Solution(s)

From what I gathered, there are two decent possible solutions to this conundrum.

row_number + over

One of them is using row_number() with over() from Ecto:
https://hexdocs.pm/ecto/Ecto.Query.WindowAPI.html#row_number/0

Assuming I join both file_info with all_counts in a single table, I can then perform the query as mentioned in the previous SO post I mentioned in my question:

file_info_with_counts
|> select([fi], %{
        rn: over(row_number(), partition_by: [fi.home_id, fi.path], order_by: [asc: fi.item_id]),
        item_id: fi.item_id,
       # you get the idea ...
      })
|> subquery()

IO.inspect(file_info_with_counts |> where([c], c.rn <= 3) |> Repo.all()

Which prints what I wanted.

Source:

Lateral inner joins

However, as mentioned by some people in the community, this solution is rather old, and these days lateral joins seem to also cover this use case.

tops = 
  from top in "file_info_with_counts", 
    where: top.home_id == parent_as(:parent).home_id,
    where: top.path == parent_as(:parent).path,
    order_by: [asc: top.item_id],
    limit: 3,
    select: %{id: top.id}

from parent in "file_info_with_counts",
  as: :parent,
  group_by: [parent.home_id, parent.path],
  lateral_join: top in subquery(tops), 
  on: true,
  select: %{home_id: parent.home_id, path: parent.path, item_id: top.id}

Source:

This solution is not without merit, however, given my familiarity with row_number I opted for that solution instead.

Unless there is a considerable performance difference between the two in favor of lateral joins, I will keep the previous solution.

For more info, here is the original source where I got these answers:

Also Liked

andrea

andrea

Will Ecto be able to support NoSQL databases in the future?

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

While I am not an expert, I believe there is a package called mongodb_ecto:

So if you use MongoDB, this might be your thing.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
GermaVinsmoke
Reading Programming Elixir 1.6 book, I’ve completed part 1 of the book. Now I’m thinking of reading Elixir in Action. What do you all sug...
New
gagan7995
API 4 Path: /user/following/ Method: GET Description: Returns the list of all names of people whom the user follows Response [ { ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to find a cheap and easy way to create New Types in Elixir, and Records seem to be just what I would need. Probl...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background So, I am playing around with a concept named “NewType” and I am taking inspiration from languages like F# and Scala. My objec...
New
GermaVinsmoke
Does anyone know beginner friendly Elixir/Phoenix Open source projects? For learning purpose :slightly_smiling_face:
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am moving towards defined data structures in my application, and I find that TypedStruct is quite useful. Questions Howeve...
New
Sumityadav
Hello all, I am new to learning Java Programming and want to learn java from scratch. I was writing a Java program to get the first and l...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have an umbrella app where I use a dependecy called ETS. This dependency has a type called set_options that I use in some of...
New
Shiny
Hey community, this is my first post here so I will try to be as concise as possible and I appreciate any feedback. I’ve been writing Ro...
New

Other popular topics Top

brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New