Kurisu

Kurisu

Ruby on Rails book recommendations please

Hello and happy new year!

I would like to buy a Ruby On Rails ebook for learning purpose.

What would be the ROR equivalent of “Programming Phoenix” by Chris McCord, Bruce Tate and José Valim?

I found that book really helpful when working on various web applications in Elixir.

Most Liked

davearonson

davearonson

I’m not sure what’s the equivalent per se, but the usual Rails tutorial is Michael Hartl’s “The Ruby On Rails Tutorial”, at http://railstutorial.org/. Not sure what the latest deal is, but it used to be that you could read the previous edition online for free, and before that it was the current edition.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I am a bit rusty on Rails. It tooks me some time to rebuild a dev environment, after spending some years with Elixir… but I have a shiny ruby 3, rails 6.1 new installation.

Time to see what Ruby 3 brings to concurrency :slight_smile:

AstonJ

AstonJ

For anyone else interested in doing this this might help:

https://astonj.com/how-to-set-up-a-ruby-and-elixir-dev-environment-on-macos-catalina/

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

dimitarvp
As a part of my new job I’ll have to learn to manage a local k8s cluster. The tools used are microk8s, tilt and helm. I’ll appreciate an...
New
dimitarvp
Hey everyone, I resumed work on my Elixir <=> SQLite library (which uses a Rust NIF underneath) and I am in a need of small and we...
New
TwistingTwists
Hello Folks, I am a novice developer from India. Intending to learn Elixir and web apps (phoenix framework). What are things that I MUS...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to get a Github Action working with Windows and Bakeware because I am trying to create a release using it. Howeve...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background While playing around with dialyzer, typespecs and currying, I was able to create an example of a false positive in dialyzer. ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to up my Functional Programming (FP) skills and one of the things that newcomers first learn in FP is the Option T...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to encode a structure into json format using the Jason library. However, this is not working as expected. Code L...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background So, I am playing around with a concept named “NewType” and I am taking inspiration from languages like F# and Scala. My objec...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a release file inside a tarball. However I want the final release to have some additional files and to move things aro...
New
ogoldberg
Any recommendations on good resources for learning Elixir, Phoenix, and Ash?
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New