CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Why I Still Use Ruby on Rails

When Rails first came around in 2004, web development was in a very different state than it was today. JavaScript was still pretty much restricted to the browser, since Node.js wouldn’t come around until 2010, Java was being written without frameworks like Spring Boot to make it somewhat bearable, and the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) was in vogue, due to PHP being widely supported and easy to deploy

A lot of time has passed since the early days of Rails, however. Why would anyone use Rails, or even dive back into learning it after all this time…

Read in full here:

https://medium.com/@shaffanm/why-i-still-use-ruby-on-rails-7581464b86be

Most Liked

alvinkatojr

alvinkatojr

At the risk of sounding like a hater, I’ll say that this medium article was a disappointment. Maybe I was expecting too much, but in the age of a 5 second attention span if you are going to get any eyeballs you need substance and sadly the soup was there, but no meat or potatoes.

TLDR: He loves Rails because it’s fun, makes things easier and has “great documentation”.

I have a couple of rebuttals to most of his arguments but life is too short. Use what you love and enjoy what you do.

jaeyson

jaeyson

Ahh version 8. It’s always at the backburner. Maybe a time to start learning.

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

I like both Rails and Phoenix, and sometimes it’s really hard to decide which one to use when starting a new project.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Exadra37
As part of our continued goal of helping developers provide safer products for businesses and consumers, we here at McAfee Advanced Threa...
New
First poster: joeb
The File System Access API with Origin Private File System. WebKit supports new API that makes it possible for web apps to create, open,...
New
CommunityNews
GitHub - livekit/livekit: Scalable, high-performance WebRTC SFU. SDKs in JavaScript, React, React Native, Flutter, Swift, Kotlin, Unity/C...
New
First poster: bot
When Zig is safer and faster than Rust. There are endless debates online about Rust vs. Zig, this post explores a side of the argument I...
New
CommunityNews
Once you get good at Rust all of these problems will go away Rust being great at big refactorings solves a largely self-inflicted issues ...
New
First poster: jkdiaz
Dark mode isn’t as good for your eyes as you believe. The shadowy display mode has leagues of fans claiming it helps reduce eye strain, ...
New
CommunityNews
Writing Portable Rendering Code with NVRHI | NVIDIA Technical Blog. Learn about NVIDIA Rendering Hardware Interface (NVRHI), a library t...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Truly independent web browser. Contribute to LadybirdBrowser/ladybird development by creating an account on GitHub.
New
First poster: braycarla
In beginning the NVIDIA Blackwell Linux testing with the GeForce RTX 5090 compute performance, besides all the CUDA/OpenCL/OptiX benchmar...
New
First poster: ozornin
The web browser made for people, with love. Best privacy by default, unbiased ad-blocking, no bloat and no noise. Fully open source.
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New