dtonhofer

dtonhofer

The Definitive ANTLR 4 Reference - "Java.g4" grammer (used on page 40) no longer passes ANTLR

@parrt

In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4.10.1)

That file is included in the Zip file of examples & source code that comes with the book (as code/tour/Java.g4)

Two problems:

The definition of “expression” uses “<assoc=right>” on each operator from line 546 onwards. However, “<assoc=right>” now needs to be placed in front:

    |   <assoc=right> expression
        ('^='
        |'+='
        |'-='
        |'*='
        |'/='
        |'&='
        |'|='
        |'='
        |'>' '>' '='
        |'>' '>' '>' '='
        |'<' '<' '='
        |'%='
        ) 

The definitin for “Escape Sequence” contains the string ‘"’ which is considered an illegal escape. The backslash has to be removed.

In fact, the current ANTLR distro comes with its own Java.g4, or rather two of them (very confusing!)

A grammer for Java 7 from 2013:

antlr4-4.10.1/runtime-testsuite/test/org/antlr/v4/test/runtime/java/api/Java.g4

A grammar for Java 5 from 2008;

antlr4-4.10.1/tool-testsuite/test/org/antlr/v4/test/tool/Java.g4

The example code should probably be upgrade to

antlr4-4.10.1/runtime-testsuite/test/org/antlr/v4/test/runtime/java/api/Java.g4

which seems to work.

Marked As Solved

ariel.lenis

ariel.lenis

Thank you @dtonhofer and @parrt I was able to make it work using the grammars from

https://github.com/antlr/grammars-v4/tree/master/java/java

You need to generate the Java files in order: Lexer first and Parser last

antlr4 JavaLexer.g4
antlr4 JavaParser.g4

And finally this is the code that I have used for the ExtractInterfaceListener.java file:

import org.antlr.v4.runtime.TokenStream;

public class ExtractInterfaceListener extends JavaParserBaseListener {
    JavaParser parser;
    public ExtractInterfaceListener(JavaParser parser) {this.parser = parser;}

    @Override
    public void enterClassDeclaration(JavaParser.ClassDeclarationContext ctx) {
        // Errata Suggestion: previous implementation
        // System.out.println("interface I" + ctx.Identifier() + " {");
        // Errata Suggestion: fix
        System.out.println("interface I" + ctx.identifier().getText() + " {");
    }

    @Override
    public void exitClassDeclaration(JavaParser.ClassDeclarationContext classDeclarationContext) {
        System.out.println("}");
    }

    @Override
    public void enterMethodDeclaration(JavaParser.MethodDeclarationContext ctx) {
        // need parser to get tokens
        TokenStream tokens = parser.getTokenStream();
        
        /*
        // Errata Suggestion: previous implementation
        String type = "void";

        if ( ctx.type()!=null ) {
            type = tokens.getText(ctx.type());
        }
        */
        // Errata Suggestion: fix
        String type = ctx.typeTypeOrVoid().getText();

        String args = tokens.getText(ctx.formalParameters());

        // Errata Suggestion: previous implementation
        // System.out.println("\t" + type + " " + ctx.Identifier() + args + ";");
        // Errata Suggestion: fix
        System.out.println("\t" + type + " " + ctx.identifier().getText() + args + ";");
    }
}

I hope it will help someone.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
Mmm
Hi, build fails on: bracket-lib = “~0.8.1” when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0: Compiling winit v0.22.2 error[E0308]: mi...
New
herminiotorres
Hi! I know not the intentions behind this narrative when called, on page XI: mount() |&gt; handle_event() |&gt; render() but the correc...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
brunogirin
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error: ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
mert
AWDWR 7, page 152, page 153: Hello everyone, I’m a little bit lost on the hotwire part. I didn’t fully understand it. On page 152 @rub...
New
jwandekoken
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below: d...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New

Sub Categories: