wasshuber

wasshuber

Programming Machine Learning: Help: weird results I don't understand

I encountered something that I can’t explain. Any help, tips, or explanations would be great.

I followed the one hidden layer example with 100 nodes and sigmoid activation function. Works great and I can get to 98.6% accuracy with a learning rate of 1.0, a batch size of 1000, and 100 epochs.

I then decided to exchange the sigmoid activation function with the ReLU. This is not done in the book at this point but it is easy enough to program the ReLU and its derivative. Here is the Python code I used:

def relu(z):
    return np.maximum(0.0,z)
def relu_gradient(z):
    return (z > 0)*1

Works fine as long as one reduces the learning rate which I did reduce to 0.1. It reaches about the same level of accuracy as with the sigmoid. I then did one insignificant change in the gradient of the ReLU. Instead of z > 0 I wrote z >= 0. So the code for the gradient was now:

def relu_gradient(z):
    return (z >= 0)*1

This I thought should not make any difference because how often would z be exactly zero? How often would the weighted sum of all inputs in the floating point format be exactly zero? Perhaps never. Even if it is zero occasionally it should hardly make any big difference. But to my surprise, it makes a profound difference. I can only get to about 95%. Why? Why is there almost 4% difference in accuracy for this insignificant change? There must be something weird happening.

I tried this several times to rule out that somehow the random initialization was unusual. I tried it with different learning rates and different batch sizes. None made any difference in the result. I checked for dead neurons. Found none. If somebody can tell me what is going on here I would really appreciate it.

Most Liked

wasshuber

wasshuber

Turns out it was a bug. Using the nomenclature of the book I was feeding h into the gradient function when I should have fed a into it. With the >= comparison this made all the gradients 1 and thus it acted like the linear activation function. (The linear activation function does produce about 94% accuracy.) Properly using the gradient function produces the expected results. It doesn’t matter if one uses > or >=.

I am happy I found this bug. But this is also part of why your book is so great. Programming it yourself forces one to understand the little details and allows one to change and modify the algorithms at the very core, which leads to much deeper understanding of how this all works.

Here is an insight that my experimentation produced. I tested a bunch of different activation functions including weird piecewise linear ones, periodic ones with sin and cos, combinations thereof etc. It surprised me that many work just as good as ReLU or sigmoid with a single hidden layer. (I intend to extend this experimentation to multiple hidden layers.) For example, it is kind of shocking at first that the absolute-value-function works just as good as ReLU. This kind of makes sense in the biological case. A neuron being a cell would not be completely identical to its neighbor neuron. Neurons in nature would certainly have different activation functions. Perhaps not as different as I experimented with but they would perhaps be noisy and distorted versions of sigmoid or ReLU. It doesn’t matter, it still works fine.

Further, this makes me wonder if perhaps that variation in activation functions in nature is a benefit. I am wondering if folks have tried to make nets where each activation function of each neuron is different. Perhaps that confers a training advantage to the network because not everything behaves in exactly the same way? I will try to explore this question. But first I need to extend the code to allow for multiple hidden layers.

This is one critique I have to make. In my opinion, it would have been better to go further with the code and extend it to multiple hidden layers than to switch to libraries. The point of the book is programming it yourself to allow full unmitigated experimentation. I would have added one or two chapters to extend the code further even if that would have meant leaving out libraries altogether. Numpy should be fast enough to explore multilayer networks on a single average computer.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
brianokken
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
simonpeter
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error. user=> (create-migration "guestbook") Execution error (Ill...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
creminology
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New

Sub Categories: