wasshuber

wasshuber

Programming Machine Learning: MNIST benchmark for multi-layer networks

Does anybody have benchmark results on what accuracy is achievable on the MNIST data with a multilayer network? I am particularly interested in smaller node numbers but deeper networks. For example what can be done with two, three or four layers of 100 nodes? Or similar.

I have extended the one hidden layer code to multiple hidden layers. Now I am wondering how much better the results should get. For example, with a 100-node hidden layer the book and my own experimentations achieve 98.6%. How much better should it get if one adds a second 100-node layer? I am asking because my early results do not show much if any improvement. I have even upgraded the SGD to the Adam algorithm which is a lot faster but the final accuracy it achieves is pretty much identical, perhaps slightly higher by 0.05% or so.

Most Liked

wasshuber

wasshuber

Thanks. Makes sense. So for dropout one essentially pretends that node doesn’t exist.

It is true, it gets a bit harder for some algorithms, but then again I think it is just one more tensor multiplication added. However, other advanced algorithms are quite easy to implement. For example, I implemented the Adam optimizer. This was straightforward and just a few lines of code, and it provides a wonderful speed-up.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
brianokken
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
simonpeter
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error. user=> (create-migration "guestbook") Execution error (Ill...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
creminology
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New

Sub Categories: