DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Dendron: a personal knowledge management tool on top of VSCode

Most Liked

brentjanderson

brentjanderson

Adding in some feedback here after a few months: I made the jump from Foam to Dendron.

I really liked how open Foam is to adaptation to exactly what you want, but I found that the things that Dendron brings that Foam lacks are a few more batteries:

  1. If you have two notes on two different angles in the same topic, Foam doesn’t proscribe any way to differentiate between the two. It’s up to the user to name notes in a way that works for them.
    By contrast, Dendron comes with the notion of a hierarchy. Every note belongs somewhere in some hierarchy. You still come up with them, but the structure is helpful for having a place for everything more naturally, and without the need to constantly refactor your notes or resort to files named with opaque IDs.
  2. Dendron has VC backing that is giving more momentum to the founding team to build something great and competitive, but it’s still VSCode and open source on the basic level. Foam hit some bumps in the road with the community maintaining it, whereas dendron has a clear view of how to get there.
  3. Dendron includes all the stuff Foam can do, and more around maintaining a lot of notes. I’m confident that I really can get my data in and out of Dendron, whereas Foam made it easy to add stuff but not as easy to find what I was looking for without doing a full text search. The hierarchies really do help a lot. Dendron makes it easy to rename hierarchies, too, without much difficulty.

I would definitely recommend Dendron to anyone that’s already in VS Code and wanting to get started in note taking like this.

I have multiple windows/workspaces open. Each workspace has a set of enabled/disabled extensions to keep it all clean and orderly - so dendron only runs on my dendron workspaces. I have two VSCode workspaces open for two different dendron projects that should be completely separate. My primary workspace is my day to day coding environment. They all stay on different desktops, making it easy to focus on the task at hand but still having my notes in reach when I want them.

All things considered, I think that the only meaningful advice in building a system like this is “Start”. Start writing, start playing with it, explore ideas, and build something that works for you.

Hallski

Hallski

If you are on the hunt for a PKM and want something built on VSCode you can also have a look at Foam. I believe it is closer in spirit to Obsidian and Roam but I don’t have personal experience with it so can’t speak for how well it works.

herminiotorres

herminiotorres

its a really nice tool, but it’s so complex to start for nothing, sometimes I think too overwhelming for me and I more enjoy to use a simple blog and posting my TIL’s(Today I Learn)

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

New
New
AstonJ
If you would prefer your file tree to be on the right hand side in Onivim, just: CTRL (or CMD) + SHIFT + P Then start to type config th...
New
First poster: bot
What you need to know before try Emacs. When it comes to Emacs, every programmer should have heard its name more or less. After all, Ema...
New
First poster: bot
At Replit, we want to give our users the most powerful, flexible, and easy-to-get-started coding environment. However, it has been limiti...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
It’s Magit! A Git interface inside Emacs Magit is a text-based Git user interface that puts an unmatched focus on streamlining workflows....
New
CommunityNews
I was a rather puzzled the first time I spotted DWIM in an Emacs interactive command name. Don’t think I remember what the command itself...
New
First poster: bot
Modal editor · Faster as in fewer keystrokes · Multiple selections · Orthogonal design
New
dqops
If you are making your own formats of YAML files, you may like the article that we wrote showing how to make Visual Studio Code and a few...
New
CommunityNews
In 2021 I found a huge memory leak in VS code, totalling around 64 GB when I first saw it, but with no actual limit on how high it could ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
New
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New