tihnessa

tihnessa

Programming Machine Learning: matplotlib broadcast error on page 58

When I try to run the code multiple_regression_without_bias.py from page 58 of the book, I get the following error:

File “[path snipped]/multilple_regression_without_bias.py”, line 13, in gradient
return 2 * np.matmul(X.T * (predict(X, w) - Y)) / X.shape[0]
ValueError: operands could not be broadcast together with shapes (3,30) (30,1)

This happens whether I run the code I’ve typed in or the code I’ve downloaded from the PragProg website.

For information, my versions are:
Python 3.9.7
Numpy 1.26.3

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

First Post!

nusco

nusco

Author of Metaprogramming Ruby & Programming Machine Learning

Hello, @tihnessa! Sorry for the slow reply. I was on travel.

Somehow, the code you’re using isn’t the same as in the current book and downloadable code. It’s not:

return 2 * np.matmul(X.T * (predict(X, w) - Y)) / X.shape[0]

but rather:

return 2 * np.matmul(X.T, (predict(X, w) - Y)) / X.shape[0]

(Note the comma after X.T, as opposed to the multiplication).

I have no idea what happened here. Maybe this was a bug in the book that I later fixed, and you have an older version of the book+code? Or maybe you were experimenting with the code and changed that line? In any case, that seems to be the issue.

Can you please confirm that you got it fixed?

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
belgoros
Following the steps described in Chapter 6 of the book, I’m stuck with running the migration as described on page 84: bundle exec sequel...
New
jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
HarryDeveloper
Hi @venkats, It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same eff...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New

Sub Categories: