roadbike

roadbike

Programming Machine Learning: Setting up your system (p 13)

From page 13:
On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio Code

pip3 install numpy==1.19.5
pip3 install matplotlib==3.2.2
pip3 install seaborn==0.11.1

With Windows 11 I faced these errors when trying to install Numpy 1.19.5.

  1. Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 was required. After installing C++ I retried installing numpy to run into…
  2. “TypeError: CCompiler_spawn() got an unexpected keyword argument ‘env’”. I updated the setuptools but that did not help because I got the same error. So I tried Numpy using pip install numpy==1.19.5 --no-binary=:all: --no-build but I got
  3. the error Running cythonize failed so I installed Cython but that did not help because I got the same error after retrying to install numpy

I gave up troubleshooting and decided to install the latest versions of the packages and see what happens when I try to run the code in the book.

Should I try another route? Any suggestions for installing the packages in a Windows 11 environment? Should I expect to run into any issues later in the book because I don’t have the specific version for the packages?

Regards,
roadbike

Marked As Solved

nusco

nusco

Author of Metaprogramming Ruby & Programming Machine Learning

Hello there! I’m sorry that it’s so hard to set up a reproducible Python ML system on Windows (or anywhere else for that matter). I can only tell you that I did my darnedest to provide repeatable instructions, but anything that I wrote tended to become obsolete, and often broken, within a couple of weeks. Now that the book is a few years old, all bets are off.

First of all, did you check the Setup page on the book’s site? The instructions there aren’t guaranteed to work anymore either, but at least I could keep it updated for as long as I managed. Recently, the distance between the versions of the libraries that I used in the books and the versions that you can install on all platforms got wider. I realized that I should just come up with an updated version of the book, with updated code for all examples.

Even if the instructions on the Setup page fail for you, however, you can still install the latest libraries and read the book. To answer your question:

Should I expect to run into any issues later in the book because
I don’t have the specific version for the packages?

Yes, but probably not major ones. Usually, if you install the latest packages, you only need a few tweaks to the code to make it run fine. Most of the issues can be fixed by looking at the “Troubleshooting” section of the setup page. If you find other errors that are not listed there, I’d appreciate it if you let me know.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
brianokken
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
simonpeter
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error. user=> (create-migration "guestbook") Execution error (Ill...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
creminology
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New

Sub Categories: