HarryDeveloper

HarryDeveloper

Programming Kotlin: Difference between SupervisorJob() and supervisorScope (324, 325)

Hi @venkats,

It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same effect - preventing the parent from cancelling when an unhandled exception occurs in one of the children

  1. Passing a SupervisorJob instance to the coroutine
  2. Wrapping the children inside a supervisorScope,

However, the example provided in ‘async/cancellationbidirectional.kts’ does use ‘SupervisorJob()’ in the parent ‘launch’, and parent job fails as mentioned in the book. When I try it, the result is the same: parent job fails, there is no successful 200 response, CancellationException is caught.

Why is that SupervisorJob() instance passage to the coroutine does not result in the desired behaviour? Using supervisorScope() works as expected. Is there any difference in using SupervisorJob() and supervisorScope()?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Harry

First Post!

venkats

venkats

Author of Programming Kotlin, Rediscovering JavaScript (and 6 other titles)

Hi @HarryDeveloper,

Thank you for the query.

The supervisorScope is a syntax sugar or a convenience function for creating a SupervisorJob. If the child coroutines run in a different SupervisorJob than the parent, then the cancellation of a Chile does not propagate to the parent.

It is much better to use supervisorScope than to use SupervisorJob, but from the curiosity point of view, you may try to create a SupervisorJob, something like this:

val job = launch(Dispatchers.IO + SupervisorJob() + handler) {

val supervisor = SupervisorJob()

launch(coroutineContext + supervisor) { fetchResponse(200, 5000) }
launch(coroutineContext + supervisor) { fetchResponse(200, 1000) }
launch(coroutineContext + supervisor) { fetchResponse(200, 3000) }

supervisor.children.forEach { it. join() }

/*
supervisorScope {
  launch { fetchResponse(200, 5000) }
  launch { fetchResponse(200, 1000) }
  launch { fetchResponse(200, 3000) }
}
*/

}

job.join()

Hope that answers your question.

Regards,

Venkat

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
leba0495
Hello! Thanks for the great book. I was attempting the Trie (chap 17) exercises and for number 4 the solution provided for the autocorre...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
hgkjshegfskef
The test is as follows: Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1)) And s ← sphere...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
brunogirin
When running tox for the first time, I got the following error: ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: python3.10 I realised that I was running ...
New
jwandekoken
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below: d...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New
dachristenson
I’ve got to the end of Ch. 11, and the app runs, with all tabs displaying what they should – at first. After switching around between St...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New

Sub Categories: