samuiweb_gm

samuiweb_gm

Programming Machine Learning: Bias in linear regression

Hi there,
bought “Programming Machine Learning” (great book) from pragprog.

A question (from a newbie) for the author, or anyone can help:
At the end of the chapter 4 in the paragraph “Bye Bye, Bias” is described how to add the bias parameter to the multiple linear regression algorithm.
Why the bias is maintained constant at every iteration when in the “single” linear regression in chapter two it is variable?

Thank you!

Most Liked

nusco

nusco

Author of Metaprogramming Ruby & Programming Machine Learning

Here I am. Hello, @samuiweb_gm!

The trick with the bias can be confusing, so let me try to explain it here.

In Chapter 2, we use a line to approximate the data. here is its equation:

ŷ = x * w + b

So we calculate the output ŷ based on the value of the inputx. We do it with two variables, or “parameters”: w and b.

By contrast, in Chapter 4 we have multiple inputs: x1, x2, and so on. So we start by calculating the output based on those inputs, each given a weight… and a final bias, like we did before:

ŷ = x1 * w1 + x2 * w2 + x3 * w3 + b

The trick in “Bye, bye, bias” is all about turning that b into just another weight (let’s call it w0), by associating it with an artificial input:

ŷ = x1 * w1 + x2 * w2 + x3 * w3 + x0 * w0

The last two formulae are the same as long as we do two things:

  • We rename b to w0.
  • We add an artificial input x0 that has a value of 1, so that when we multiplicate it by w0, nothing changes.

So, to answer your question directly: b is still a variable, and it’s become a weight like any other. What we added is another input, and that one has a constant value of 1. By doing that, we can remove all the code that deals with the special case of b, and treat all the weights and the bias the same.

Does that make it clear?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

You can probably mention them directly I reckon: @PragmaticBookshelf.

@AstonJ should it be enough that such questions are put in the PragProg Customers category, or are mentions desirable at all?

AstonJ

AstonJ

This section is fine - no mentions needed :smiley:

PragProg will be keeping an eye on the section (and their authors on threads related to their books) so they will see the thread at some point, though keep in mind they are busy so it might not be right away.

I am also currently working on our first iteration of book portals which will make it clearer where to post and find threads relating to specific books. Hoping to get the first version of this up early next week (to begin with we’ll just use the standard portal template, then customise this after reviewing how it’s used).

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
belgoros
Following the steps described in Chapter 6 of the book, I’m stuck with running the migration as described on page 84: bundle exec sequel...
New
jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
HarryDeveloper
Hi @venkats, It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same eff...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New

Sub Categories: