DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Can someone explain the -t option/flag in docker run command?

I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run command says about this flag, which is the following,

       -t, --tty=true|false
          Allocate a pseudo-TTY. The default is false.

       When set to true Docker can allocate a pseudo-tty and attach to the standard input of
       any container. This can be used, for example, to run a throwaway interactive shell.
       The default is false.

       The -t option is incompatible with a redirection of the docker client standard input.

Things like pseudo-TTY or “attaching to the standard input”. So if this interactive shell isn’t the standard input for docker container, what is actually the standard input, to which it attaches?

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

Was curious about this too so did some googling :blush:

A pseudo TTY is:

A pseudo TTY (or “PTY”) is a pair of devices — a slave and a master — that provide a special sort of communication channel. The slave device behaves much like the device representing the VT100 or ADM-3A “dumb terminal” that we all have on our desks … or that we might have had a few decades ago.

From: Containers, pseudo TTYs, and backward compatibility [LWN.net]

And how it relates to Docker:

The -t option goes to how Unix/Linux handles terminal access. In the past, a terminal was a hardline connection, later a modem based connection. These had physical device drivers (they were real pieces of equipment). Once generalized networks came into use, a pseudo-terminal driver was developed. This is because it creates a separation between understanding what terminal capabilities can be used without the need to write it into your program directly (read man pages on stty , curses ).

So, with that as background, run a container with no options and by default you have a stdout stream (so docker run | <cmd> works); run with -i , and you get stdin stream added (so <cmd> | docker run -i works); use -t , usually in the combination -it and you have a terminal driver added, which if you are interacting with the process is likely what you want. It basically makes the container start look like a terminal connection session.

Source: Confused about Docker -t option to Allocate a pseudo-TTY - Stack Overflow

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Thank you for the detailed reply! :slight_smile:
Now I know how it works under the hood.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

Kurisu
Hello, Please, let’s say I have a website with user authentication made with Elixir/Phoenix, and now want to add a forum to it (using a ...
New
Rainer
Is there somewhere a good introduction to rust for experienced programmers (with years of C++/C#/Java experience)? Wanted to give it a t...
New
IhorYachmenov
Hello. I have an iOS app where needs a proxying website through private server(HTTP / HTTPS proxy), but its idea each time has some trou...
New
s2k
I have this code in a file that’s used to … render templates. require 'erb' require 'ostruct' MISSING_CONFIG_MARKER = :config_key_and_v...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background So, I am playing around with a concept named “NewType” and I am taking inspiration from languages like F# and Scala. My objec...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background PS: the following situation describes an hypothetical scenario, where I own a company that sells things to customers. I have ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a personal project that is an elixir desktop application for PC Windows. It works pretty well, but now I want to give i...
New
sona11
In Java, if I try to do.equals() on a null string, a null pointer error is issued. I’m wondering whether I can perform the following if I...
New
harwind
I have a large SQL database with millions of records, and I’ve identified duplicate entries. What’s the most efficient way to find and re...
New
theodor
I have this app where there are a bunch of users that cannot access their account anymore after they updated their Android device to Andr...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New