jskubick

jskubick

Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack: omitted change for bottomNav val (page 190)

I’m not sure whether I just overlooked it somewhere prior to page 190, but when I got to page 190 and added the code at the bottom of the page to create AppBarConfiguration(bottomNav.menu), I got an error because bottomNav was never defined.

After comparing my MainActivity.kt to the one from chapter 7 of the zipfile, I noticed that the zipfile changed

findViewById<BottomNavigationView>(R.id.bottom_nav).setupWithNavController(this.navController)

to

val bottomNav = findViewById<BottomNavigationView>(R.id.bottom_nav) bottomNav.setupWithNavController(this.navController)

It’s entirely possible you mentioned it earlier in the book & I just overlooked it. (Sigh… I wish publishers would bundle codes for free copies of the ebook with printed copies, or work out something with Amazon like, “buy the printed book, immediately get the Kindle version free”. Ebooks suck for actual reading, but they occasionally come in handy as super-indexes that can be brute-force searched for situations like this.)


I also noticed a minor issue with the way the penny_drop_created_by entry in strings.xml is encoded… the double quotes around the book’s title need to be backslash-escaped, or they won’t be printed:

<string name="penny_drop_created_by">The <i>Penny Drop</i> app was created by Michael Fazio for the Pragmatic Bookshelf title <a href="https://pragprog.com/titles/mfjetpack/">\"Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack\"</a>.</string>

As an aside, for your own future projects, you might want to check out https://noties.io/Markwon as a convenient alternative to SpannableString. I discovered it a few months ago & totally fell in love with it :icon_cool:

First Post!

mfazio23

mfazio23

Author of Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack

Jeff, don’t worry on this one, you’re correct. I forgot to include it in the text.

As far as the strings.xml update, you’re correct. I think I missed it due to the link highlighting.

Also, Markwon looks way nicer, and I’m always in favor of using Markdown syntax!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
hgkjshegfskef
The test is as follows: Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1)) And s ← sphere...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New

Sub Categories: