abtin

abtin

Distributed Services With Go - gogoproto on linux

page 20: … protoc command…
I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using gogo protobuf on a linux machine:

go get github.com/gogo/protobuf/proto
go get github.com/gogo/protobuf/jsonpb
go get github.com/gogo/protobuf/protoc-gen-gogo
go get github.com/gogo/protobuf/gogoproto

I don’t use Mac but it would be nice to mention that the setup on linux is different or point the readers to the git repo for installation instruction. https://github.com/gogo/protobuf/tree/master

Marked As Solved

travisjeffery

travisjeffery

Author of Distributed Services with Go

Hey y’all, I’ve switched the book to use github.com/golang/protobuf because of the release of Go’s protobuf APIv2, gogoprotobuf lacking ownership and projects moving away from using gogoprotobuf: https://github.com/gogo/protobuf/issues/691. This update will be in a subsequent beta release.

Also Liked

youshy

youshy

I’m on the second beta right now, sadly the problem still exists (I’m on Linux).

Used this command to fix:
protoc --gogoslick_out=. -I=. -I=${GOPATH}/src -I=${GOPATH}/src/github.com/gogo/protobuf/gogoproto *.proto

also my log.proto is updated:

syntax = "proto3";

package log.v1;

import "github.com/gogo/protobuf/gogoproto/gogo.proto";

option (gogoproto.marshaler_all) = true;
option (gogoproto.unmarshaler_all) = true;
option (gogoproto.sizer_all) = true;

message Record {
  bytes value = 1;
  uint64 offset = 2;
}
seblegall

seblegall

Hi,

I work on a mac and I had to use this command :

protoc api/v1/*.proto \
		--gogoslick_out=plugins=grpc:. \
		--proto_path=$$(go list -f '{{ .Dir }}' -m github.com/gogo/protobuf) \
		--proto_path=.

Notice the gogoslick_out flag. I had to use that instead of the gogo_out flag described in the book.

The readme file says :

protoc-gen-gogofast (same as gofast, but imports gogoprotobuf)
protoc-gen-gogofaster (same as gogofast, without XXX_unrecognized, less pointer fields)
protoc-gen-gogoslick (same as gogofaster, but with generated string, gostring and equal methods)

But indeed, I didn’t saw the last paragraph “Most Speed and most customization” describing the command you suggest.

So I guess, it’s not a matter of Mac or Linux. Maybe the gogo/protobuf changed is usage ?

To be fair, there is an old README in the git repo (https://github.com/gogo/protobuf/blob/master/README) descripting usage as

protoc --gogo_out=. -I=.:github.com/gogo/protobuf/protobuf *.proto
travisjeffery

travisjeffery

Author of Distributed Services with Go

You didn’t have the second beta right? I believe I fixed this.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
davetron5000
Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and ar...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New

Sub Categories: