Kurisu

Kurisu

I'm curious if I can have a feature like Elixir/Phoenix umbrella project when using Ruby On Rails

Following on an old discussion I started on Elixir Forum here, I finally made my mind to learn Ruby on Rails in addition to Elixir/Phoenix. The thread is visible only for Elixir Forum members.

One of the things that makes me going for that choice is that even if Ruby is not Elixir, the syntax seems a bit familiar to me at a quick glance. So I think my learning would be somehow fast.

But I really appreciate Elixir umbrella feature and after some googling I’m not finding anything similar for Ruby. So I would like to know if there is at least a way when working with Rails to have multiple web apps in the same project but into different folders (separated controllers, views, templates , assets) but still sharing for example some core “context modules”.

Thanks

Marked As Solved

AstonJ

AstonJ

I don’t think there is anything exactly like Umbrellas, but there are some architectural styles in Rails land that might be of interest to you, like this one:

The Modular Monolith

Here’s how we do it.

  • We don’t have an app/ directory in our Rails project. All of our code is either in gems/ or engines/.
  • Gems contain Ruby code that does not depend on Rails. We use ActiveSupport, but we do not use ActiveRecord or ActionPack. The gems are all stateless.
  • Engines contain Ruby code that does depend on Rails. Persistence happens at this layer through ActiveRecord. API and Web interfaces are exposed at this layer through ActionPack.

https://medium.com/@dan_manges/the-modular-monolith-rails-architecture-fb1023826fc4

Also Liked

cpgo

cpgo

Well, regarding file uploads you can use shrine which is really well desgined and have a thin wrapper for hanami (https://github.com/katafrakt/hanami-shrine)

For authentication there is the awesome (as any thing by jeremy evans) rodauth .
This blog post shows a bit of its capabilities.

Unfortunately I cant really point you to any admin panel.

Rails is still awesome for a quick and dirty mvp, but I have been bitten so many times by devise, or autoloading issues, or active support black magic that I prefer to have a bit slower start using something “simpler” like hanami or even go straight to sinatra/roda/hanami-router

Kurisu

Kurisu

Thanks @AstonJ !
At this moment it seems a bit complex for me but I felt the same with elixir Umbrella when started Elixir some time ago. I think once I will get more familiar with the basics I can go on the path suggested on the blog post. I just wanted to be sure there are such solutions before starting my new journey. ^^

AstonJ

AstonJ

Is there any particular reason why you want to do it?

Something I do with almost all of my Rails apps (thanks to a tip from Yehuda Katz) is to create a classes folder in my app directory and this is where all my non-Rails functionality lives - you may find this is sufficient :smiley:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

jaimeiniesta
I maintain a project that lists hundreds of thousands of web pages, and I’d like to show a screenshot for each web page. There are alread...
New
s2k
I have this code in a file that’s used to … render templates. require 'erb' require 'ostruct' MISSING_CONFIG_MARKER = :config_key_and_v...
New
JimmyCarterSon
I am following this tutorial . I have followed carefully correcting errors as I go. The app allows you to create a blog post and add comm...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to find a cheap and easy way to create New Types in Elixir, and Records seem to be just what I would need. Probl...
New
MarkIden
Hi, Recommend pls your favorite learning resources in Go, with best books, podcasts etc.
/go
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have recently been delving into more functional code. My objective right now is to get something similar to the IO Monad (in...
New
AstonJ
If when trying to create (or recreate) your dev db with rails db:create you are getting: PG::ConnectionBad: connection to server on soc...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am a fan of dialyzer and friends (looking at Gradient) and I try to have sepcs in my code as much as I can. To this end, I a...
New
sona11
I studied very basic PHP (I believe). After that, I feel like I’ve gotten a handle on the language. My dream is to work as a web develope...
New
pillaiindu
What is the difference between using :references and :belongs_to in the following command? bin/rails generate scaffold LineItem product:...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New