Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Dialyzer cannot recognize error in function using polymorphic types

Background

I am trying out polymorphic typing with dialyzer. As an example I am using the famous Option type (aka, Maybe Monad) that is now prevalent in many other languages these days.

defmodule Test do
  @type option(t) :: some(t) | nothing
  @type some(t) :: [{:some, t}]
  @type nothing :: []

  @spec validate_name(String.t()) :: option(String.t())
  def validate_name(name) do
    if String.length(name) > 0 do
      [{:some, name}]
    else
      nil
    end
  end
end

As you can see, the function validate_name should return (by spec definition) [{:some, String.t}] | [].

The issue here is that in reality, the function is returning [{:some, String.t}] | nil. nil is not the same as empty list [].

Problem

Given this issue, I would expect dialyzer to complain. However it gladly accepts this erroneous spec:

$ mix dialyzer
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
Finding suitable PLTs
Checking PLT...
[:compiler, :currying, :elixir, :gradient, :gradualizer, :kernel, :logger, :stdlib, :syntax_tools]
PLT is up to date!
No :ignore_warnings opt specified in mix.exs and default does not exist.

Starting Dialyzer
[
  check_plt: false,
  init_plt: '/home/user/Workplace/fl4m3/grokking_fp/_build/dev/dialyxir_erlang-24.2.1_elixir-1.13.2_deps-dev.plt',
  files: ['/home/user/Workplace/fl4m3/grokking_fp/_build/dev/lib/grokking_fp/ebin/Elixir.Book.beam',
   '/home/user/Workplace/fl4m3/grokking_fp/_build/dev/lib/grokking_fp/ebin/Elixir.DealingWithListsOfLists.beam',
   '/home/user/Workplace/fl4m3/grokking_fp/_build/dev/lib/grokking_fp/ebin/Elixir.Event.beam',
   '/home/user/Workplace/fl4m3/grokking_fp/_build/dev/lib/grokking_fp/ebin/Elixir.FlatMapsVSForComprehensions.beam',
   '/home/user/Workplace/fl4m3/grokking_fp/_build/dev/lib/grokking_fp/ebin/Elixir.ImmutableValues.beam',
   ...],
  warnings: [:unknown]
]
Total errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Unnecessary Skips: 0
done in 0m1.09s
done (passed successfully)

Furthermore, no matter what I put in the else branch, the result is always a “happy dialyzer”.

Question

At this point, the only logical solution I can think of is that dialyzer is only concerned with the happy path. Meaning, it will ignore my else branch.

If dialzyer is only ever concerned with happy paths, then this would explain the issue (it is called success typing after all) but it also means it will totally miss a bunch of errors in my code.

  • Is my assumption about dialyzer correct?
  • Is there a way to make it more precise in finding errors, or is this a limitation of the algorithm used by dialyzer ? (and therefore no fix is possible)

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Answer

After talking with many folks I have come to understand that as long as 1 path in my code leads to a successful execution that is compatible with the specs I provide, dialyzer will not complain.

There may be many paths that break, but as long as 1 works, dialzyer is happy.

In my specific case, because I have a branch that returns [{:some, String.t}] dialyzer does not complain, because I have 1 branch that succeeds.

This can be better summarized in the quote from Type Specifications and Eralng:

The other option is then to have a type system that will not prove the absence of errors, but will do a best effort at detecting whatever it can. You can make such detection really good, but it will never be perfect. It’s a tradeoff to be made.

In fact, the article mentioned above, has an example case very similar to my own:

main() ->
    X = case fetch() of
        1 -> some_atom;
        2 -> 3.14
    end,
    convert(X).

convert(X) when is_atom(X) -> {atom, X}.

Which also does not trigger dialyzer. According to the article:

From our point of view, it appears that at some point in time, the call to convert/1 will fail.
(…)
Dialyzer doesn’t think so. (…) because there is the possibility that the function call to convert/1 succeeds at some point, Dialyzer will keep silent. No type error is reported in this case.

This is quite enlightening and I am convinced this is what is happening in my case.

Will dialyzer ever understand what is going on?

To be fair, this error can be caught by dialyzer if we use some flags, namelly --overspecs (for this case) and its sister --underspecs (which we don’t need for this case).

After some research I was able to find a mailing list that details the behaviour of these flags in a mathematical format:

From it:

Let SpecIn be a set of @spec inputs and RealIn be a set of inputs as inferred by Dialyzer from real code, then:

  • The Input Contract is satisfied when SpecIn <= RealIn (where <= is a non-strict subset operation). See over_in in demo code below.
  • The Input Contract violation is detected by -Wunderspecs option when SpecIn > RealIn. See under_in below.

It is easy to see in the code:

  • It’s OK for over_in to declare that it only accepts :a and :b while it also happens to accept :c. Maybe suboptimal, but fine.
  • It’s NOT OK for under_in to claim that it accepts :a, :b and :c and break if :c is passed. Rejecting :c would break the caller.

Let SpecOut be a set of @spec outputs and RealOut be a set of outputs as inferred by Dialyzer from real code, then:

  • The Output Contract is satisfied when SpecOut >= RealOut (where >= is a non-strict superset operation). See under_out below.
  • The Output Contract violation is detected by -Woverspecs option when SpecOut < RealOut. See over_out below.

It is easy to see in the code:

  • It’s OK for under_out to declare that it returns :a, :b and :c, while currently it only returns :a and :b. Maybe future implementations will return :c as well.
  • It’s NOT OK for over_out to declare that it returns :a and :b, but to also return :c sometimes. Returning :c would break the caller.

And indeed if I run mix dialyzer --overspecs with this sample, dialzyer does complain becasue:

The Output Contract violation is detected by -Woverspecs option when SpecOut < RealOut. See over_out below.

Where RealOut is [] | [t] | nil and SpecOut is [] | [t].
Therefore, a contract violation is detected.

Error shown:

lib/test.ex:6:missing_range
The type specification is missing types returned by function.

Function:
Test.validate_name/1

Type specification return types:
[{:some, binary()}]

Missing from spec:
nil

This was a wild ride through Dialyzer, and a revision I quite honestly needed. During the whole ordeal I learned about a couple of dialyzer flags and I refreshed my memory on success typing (which I absolutely needed to).

Thank you everyone for participating !

Also Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

There’s likely special behaviour around empty lists in Erlang is my best guess. And dialyzer is widely admitted to not be the best at the job even by Erlang maintainers.

If I were you I’d try going all the way on nested tuples and have an Option type with {:option, {:some, value}} and {:option, :none} and see if Dialyzer chokes on those. I’d guess it wouldn’t.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Polymorphic types are one of the most powerful constructs in any Typing system. This is not about Option type, this is about how Dialyzer’s behaviour does not seem to fit correct behaviour.

Instead of Option, I could have Fruit[Banana] or Deck[Cards] or any other thing. Going down tuple lane would be a mere workaround. I am not looking for that here :smiley:

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

We have to work with what we have, right? Just not sure that what you’re looking for is even existing in the BEAM ecosystem.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

Kurisu
Hello and happy new year! I would like to buy a Ruby On Rails ebook for learning purpose. What would be the ROR equivalent of “Programm...
New
Jsdr3398
I’m trying to create a router where everything is in a collection of routes (similar to how I do my routes in expressjs). But it doesn’t ...
New
Jsdr3398
I’ve been working on and rewriting my messaging platform several times for the past two years. With Discords new rebranding, it has reall...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to find a cheap and easy way to create New Types in Elixir, and Records seem to be just what I would need. Probl...
New
JimmyCarterSon
I am confused about the Schema setup, I am setting up a new application and I want to seed files in it as well. I tried to mix to create...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background PS: the following situation describes an hypothetical scenario, where I own a company that sells things to customers. I have ...
New
sona11
I wrote this code to calculate Fibonacci numbers by specifying the size. The results are correct, however the one thing that concerns me ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a module that uses TypedStruct to create structs. This is the code: defmodule Shared.Data.Authorization do @moduledo...
New
harwind
I’m presently working on a backend development project to build a RESTful API using Python and Flask. The Scaler backend developer site h...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have an umbrella app where I use a dependecy called ETS. This dependency has a type called set_options that I use in some of...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New