osbre

osbre

Is there a specification or recommendations on implementing “one-time authentication” link?

Hello everyone

I’m trying to implement a “magic link” or “one-time login link” functionality

I wonder what a secure way to implement it would be.

The obvious and most simple solution to me seems to be generating a long enough string and storing it in the database.

When the link is opened, the app will just check the value against the database, and verify that it has not expired based on the creation date

But, an alternative way is to use encryption. Seems beneficial because it does not involve the generation of long enough string? As we can encrypt only database identifier which leads to a record of when the login request was made (to check if not expired)

I appreciate any feedback or tips, thanks :pray:

Marked As Solved

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That’s basically what that “long enough string” is, when its long enough and random then you have enough entropy to not worry about it. Just using a UUIDv4 is enough entropy to not worry about it if it expires anywhere in the next thousand years, lol.

Except you encrypt it, which means it’s going to balloon in size to get enough entropy to be worth encrypting, which is going to end up longer in the URL anyway.

Also Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

If the user has an account then I generally use SecureRandom to generate a random url-safe string then put that in the db associated with the user and an expiry, then in the URL params I will add the user’s ID as well as the generated string, that way the ID must correspond with the string, or it won’t work :023:

There’s an Elixir library for SecureRandom:

iex> SecureRandom.urlsafe_base64
"xYQcVfWuq6THMY_ZVmG0mA"

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

Kurisu
Following on an old discussion I started on Elixir Forum here, I finally made my mind to learn Ruby on Rails in addition to Elixir/Phoen...
New
wolf4earth
At work we plan to replace a totally overkill Kafka instance with a combination of SNS and SQS. I don’t want to get into a discussion on ...
New
sampu
I have a use case where a client is invoking a Rest endpoint via a load balancer, which in turn invokes a third party endpoint which is r...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am now trying Gradual type checking, as a consequence I am giving a shot to Gradient. As I see it, this is an alternative to...
New
jeya
Dear Geeks I am new to pytest. I am following a youtube channel. I am writing the same code. learning to test login functionality of an...
New
JimmyCarterSon
I am confused about the Schema setup, I am setting up a new application and I want to seed files in it as well. I tried to mix to create...
New
JimmyCarterSon
Hello, I am working on a new application with Elixir, Dish_out. I want to see Data I follow this tutorial with Elixir Casts. However, I ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background PS: the following situation describes an hypothetical scenario, where I own a company that sells things to customers. I have ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a personal project that is an elixir desktop application for PC Windows. It works pretty well, but now I want to give i...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background As I often do, I read books to learn and improve myself. I also enjoy teaching and helping others when I can, so this is somet...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New