Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

How to extract a tarball?

Background

I have a release file inside a tarball. However I want the final release to have some additional files and to move things around, for the convenience of the user.

This means I need to do 3 things:

  1. Extract the contents of the tarball into a folder
  2. Add the extra files to said folder and move some items around
  3. compress everything again and call it a day

Problem

While I have it clear on how to execute step 2, using File and friends, I have tried several ways to do steps 1 and 3 and I failed.

I have tried using :zip, but it returns a bad encoding error, probably because the file is not a zip but tar instead.

I am also aware of File.open("path", :read, :compressed), but I don’t want to read anything, I want to extract it into a new folder.

I also checked Unzip but it does not fit my use case.

Question

How can I extract a tar file into a folder and compress a folder into a tar file?

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

I was able to extract the file using:

:ok = :erl_tar.extract("tar_path", [{:cwd, "tmp"}, :compressed])

This will extract the tar file into the tmp folder. Once there I can do the rest !

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

Kurisu
Hello, Please, let’s say I have a website with user authentication made with Elixir/Phoenix, and now want to add a forum to it (using a ...
New
pillaiindu
Cross posting from HashNode. A friend of mine is creating Uber-like app for a small company with 200 to 1000 cars. The app will operate ...
New
Rainer
Is there somewhere a good introduction to rust for experienced programmers (with years of C++/C#/Java experience)? Wanted to give it a t...
New
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to get a Github Action working with Windows and Bakeware because I am trying to create a release using it. Howeve...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background While playing around with dialyzer, typespecs and currying, I was able to create an example of a false positive in dialyzer. ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to find a cheap and easy way to create New Types in Elixir, and Records seem to be just what I would need. Probl...
New
JimmyCarterSon
I am confused about the Schema setup, I am setting up a new application and I want to seed files in it as well. I tried to mix to create...
New
Manish_bose
Can anyone help me how to convert a long data to wide data in SQL without using hard coding? Regards Manish
New
sona11
If isReachable throws an IOException in Java, what is the right step to do and why? The application, I believe, should halt the process ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New