joustava
Genetic Algorithms in Elixir: Code throws error (page 111)
Not sure if I’m doing something wrong here, but it seems that this piece of code will throw errors:
def fitness_function(chromosome) do
target = 'ILoveGeneticAlgorithms'
encrypted = 'LIjs`B`k`qlfDibjwlqmhv'
cipher = fn word, key -> Enum.map(word, & rem(&1 ^^^ key, 32768)) end
key =
chromosome.genes
|> Enum.map(&Integer.to_string/1)
|> Enum.join("")
|> String.to_integer(2)
guess = List.to_string(cipher.(encrypted, key))
String.jaro_distance(target, guess)
end
As
String.jaro_distance(target, guess)
Doesn’t expect ‘charlists’ but binaries
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in String.Unicode.graphemes/1
The following arguments were given to String.Unicode.graphemes/1:
# 1
'ILoveGeneticAlgorithms'
Attempted function clauses (showing 1 out of 1):
def graphemes(binary) when is_binary(binary)
(elixir 1.10.3) lib/elixir/unicode/unicode.ex:252: String.Unicode.graphemes/1
(elixir 1.10.3) lib/string.ex:2488: String.jaro_distance/2
(genetic 0.1.0) lib/genetic.ex:24: anonymous fn/2 in Genetic.evaluate/3
(elixir 1.10.3) lib/enum.ex:1396: Enum."-map/2-lists^map/1-0-"/2
(genetic 0.1.0) lib/genetic.ex:23: Genetic.evaluate/3
(genetic 0.1.0) lib/genetic.ex:116: Genetic.evolve/6
scripts/code_breaker.exs:39: (file)
I’m running this on:
⟩ elixir --version
Erlang/OTP 23 [erts-11.0.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]
Elixir 1.10.3 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 23)
Not sure if something has changed recently regarding this issue.
Also, it seems the capture operator ‘&’ is in the wrong place in the book and should be moved before the call to ‘rem’ otherwise a
** (ArithmeticError) bad argument in arithmetic expression: rem(#Function<1.106933999/1 in CodeBreaker.fitness_function/1>, 32768)
:erlang.rem(#Function<1.106933999/1 in CodeBreaker.fitness_function/1>, 32768)
scripts/code_breaker.exs:16: anonymous fn/2 in CodeBreaker.fitness_function/1
(genetic 0.1.0) lib/genetic.ex:24: anonymous fn/2 in Genetic.evaluate/3
(elixir 1.10.3) lib/enum.ex:1396: Enum."-map/2-lists^map/1-0-"/2
(genetic 0.1.0) lib/genetic.ex:23: Genetic.evaluate/3
(genetic 0.1.0) lib/genetic.ex:116: Genetic.evolve/6
scripts/code_breaker.exs:33: (file)
will occur.
I think on the next page in the iex example it is the correct way.
First Post!
adkelley
Strings in Elixir are inserted between double quotes. Therefore change: target = 'ILoveGeneticAlgorithms' to: target = "ILoveGeneticAlgorithms"
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
Running the examples in chapter 5 c under pytest 5.4.1 causes an AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘config’.
In particula...
New
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116
Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error.
user=> (create-migration "guestbook")
Execution error (Ill...
New
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps.
With:
ruby-3.0.0
s...
New
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get:
pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7
ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
When running tox for the first time, I got the following error:
ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: python3.10
I realised that I was running ...
New
On page 78 the following code appears:
<%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product,
class: ‘hover:underline’,
method: :delete,
data: { confirm...
New
Hello @herbert ! Trying to get the very first “Hello, Bracket Terminal!" example to run (p. 53). I develop on an Amazon EC2 instance runn...
New
From page 13:
On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New
Other popular topics
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!?
If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
New
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
poll
poll
Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me.
I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
Author Spotlight
Mike Riley
@mriley
This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
This is a very quick guide, you just need to:
Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/
Click on search
Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /deepseek
- /ash
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /nodejs
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /diversity
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /laravel









