kristjan.rovsek
Genetic Algorithms in Elixir: Using reinsertions (source code)
Provided source code has some problems when dealing with the reinsertions.
- scripts/schedule.exs example has a default reinsertion strategy set to “elitist”. The problem is, it actually doesn’t and is always running the default “pure” strategy because the naming of the optional parameter has a typo. Changing “reinserton_strategy” to “reinsertion_strategy” does the trick.
- If we run the script again, correct strategy is used, but now we get an “ArgumentError” in “Toolbox.Reinsertion.elitist” function when trying to sort data based on fitness.
The problem actually lies in the “Genetic.evolve” function. In it, “select” function is called which returns “parents” ( composed of pairs of chromosomes, ie: [{p1, p2}, {p3, p4}, …] ) and “leftovers” ( represented as a normal list of chromosomes, ie: [l1, l2, l3, …] ). These two get recombined in the
“Toolbox.Reinsertion.elitist” function producing a list like [{p1, p2}, {p3, p4}, l5, l6] which is of wrong format.
A solution then is to de-chunk the “parents” list before sending it to reinsertion function. Something like the following should do the trick:
parents = parents
|> Enum.reduce([],
fn {p1, p2}, acc ->
[p1, p2 | acc]
end)
- While testing this I also found that the “population_size” parameter is not working. This is because “Genetic.run” does not pass optional parameters to function “Genetic.initialize”. Changing the call to:
population = initialize(&problem.genotype/0, opts)
solves it.
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
page 20: … protoc command…
I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
I’m new to Rust and am using this book to learn more as well as to feed my interest in game dev. I’ve just finished the flappy dragon exa...
New
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others.
Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ”
Excerpt From: Br...
New
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
Is there any place where we can discuss the solutions to some of the exercises? I can figure most of them out, but am having trouble with...
New
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels.
Before ...
New
Hi, I’m working on the Chapter 8 of the book.
After I add add the point_offset, I’m still able to see acne:
In the image above, I re...
New
@mfazio23
I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
Other popular topics
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
No chair. I have a standing desk.
This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting:
asdf install erlang 23.1.2
Configure failed.
checking ...
New
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me.
I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
Author Spotlight:
Bruce Tate
@redrapids
Programming languages always emerge out of need, and if that’s not always true, they’re defin...
New
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
Jan | Rethink the Computer.
Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /nodejs
- /arch-linux
- /spring
- /ubuntu
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /diversity
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /laravel









