kdiogenes
Genetic Algorithms in Elixir: Chapter 1 sample implementation in Ruby finds a solution much faster
I translated the implementation in Chapter 1 (without mutation) for Ruby and get surprised that it’s find a solution much faster than the Elixir implementation.
The Ruby implementation finds the solution in about 10 seconds, while the Elixir one takes about 1 minute. I get a bit surprised by this result and couldn’t think of an explanation for this difference.
I’m sharing my Ruby implementation for anyone curious to explain this difference:
#!/usr/bin/env ruby
population =
Array.new(100) do
Array.new(1000) { [0, 1].sample }
end
def evaluate(population)
population.sort_by(&:sum).reverse
end
def selection(population)
population.each_slice(2)
end
def crossover(population)
population.reduce([]) do |offspring, parents|
cx_point = cut = rand(1...parents[0].length)
child1 = parents[0][0...cx_point] + parents[1][cx_point..-1]
child2 = parents[1][0...cx_point] + parents[0][cx_point..-1]
offspring << child1 << child2
end
end
def algorithm(population)
loop do
best = population.max_by(&:sum)
print "Current Best: #{best.sum}\r"
break best if best.sum == 1000
population = evaluate(population)
population = selection(population)
population = crossover(population)
end
end
solution = algorithm(population)
puts "\nAnswer is\n"
puts solution.inspect
First Post!
kdiogenes
After going further in the book (the algorithms have more output) I verified that the ruby implementation takes more generations to find the solution, but it runs each generation faster.
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error.
user=> (create-migration "guestbook")
Execution error (Ill...
New
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display)
It looks like
.with_simple_console_no_bg(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
I am working on the “Your Turn” for chapter one and building out the restart button talked about on page 27. It recommends looking into ...
New
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2)
Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell
PS C:\Users\r...
New
@noelrappin
Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning:
ERROR in tsconfig.json
TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
On page 78 the following code appears:
<%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product,
class: ‘hover:underline’,
method: :delete,
data: { confirm...
New
Hi,
I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test.
I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
Hi all,
currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work).
For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
@mfazio23
I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New
Other popular topics
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me.
I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
Author Spotlight:
Bruce Tate
@redrapids
Programming languages always emerge out of need, and if that’s not always true, they’re defin...
New
Jan | Rethink the Computer.
Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet.
Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
If you’re getting errors like this:
psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /scala
- /react-native
- /lisp
- /textmate
- /sublime-text
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /spring
- /ubuntu
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /diversity
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /laravel









