lirux

lirux

The Ray Tracer Challenge: "Computing the normal on a transformed sphere" ebook test

Hi Jamis,
I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019.
This test doesn’t pass for me:

But removing the rotation_z transformation the test will pass.
I suppose that a previous errata updated the transformation matrix m but not the resulting normal vector n.
This is my normal with the rotation_z:
x: -0.4149850363522584, y: 0.8620719608670172, z: -0.29089405956569586

Hope it helps!

Marked As Solved

jdunlap

jdunlap

I think that I see the problem. You are applying the transformations in the wrong order. You are not rotating an ellipsoid in that test at all. Transformations are applied to a point in the opposite direction of what they appear, so in this test, the sphere is rotated and then scaled.

Perhaps this image will help to illustrate.

The blue ellipsoid is generated using the the order in the test (Scaling * Rotation) while the pinkish one is generated with the opposite order (Rotation * Scaling). This demonstrates that you are rotating a sphere in the test and then squishing it to an ellipsoid, not the other way around.

I agree with you that the other way would definitely rotate the normal, but I don’t believe it would in this case. Perhaps maybe Jamis intended for the second case when he made this correction, but inadvertently used this one which has no effect with or without the rotation.

Also Liked

lirux

lirux

Yes, you are right.
In my code I choose a fluent API, in witch the order of the matrix multiplications is reversed behind the scene.
So instead of using scaling(1, 0.5, 1).rotation_z(pi/5) (that equals to m = rotation_z * scaling) I should have written the opposite: rotation_z(pi/5).scaling(1, 0.5, 1).

Thank you for your help!

jdunlap

jdunlap

I don’t think that you’re right about this. Mine passes all tests with the z-axis rotation in. It also passes without, but that actually makes sense. First, we would rotate the original point into world space. We would then find the vector and then rotate it back to world space, causing it to point in the same direction as before. Without the rotation, we just don’t do and then undo the rotation. The rotation in this test does pretty much nothing because we already have the intersection point. It would be very different (in later chapters) when we cast a ray from world space in a direction to intersect the sphere. Then, it will make quite a bit of difference.

Please correct me if my logic is off, and I have not done the math by hand to verify all of this, but it makes logical sense to me. And my tests are passing without making any changes like you recommend.

mx00s

mx00s

@jamis

I ran into this too. I’m also using a fluent interface and transcribed the test wrong. Thank you both for helping me understand what’s going wrong.

It’s a bit odd that the rotation is even part of the transformation since it’s clearly a no-op when applied to the unit sphere centered on the object origin. After fixing my test transcription bug, I came up with an alternative test where each part of the transform has a meaningful impact:

Scenario: Given the normal on a transformed sphere
Given s <- sphere()
And m <- scaling(1, 0.5, 1) * shearing(1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
And set_transform(s, m)
When n <- normal_at(s, point(0, sqrt(2)/2, sqrt(2)/2))
Then n = vector(-0.24077171, 0.96308684, -0.120385855)

But beware, I have not verified the computation beyond using my implementation to get the normal vector. Also, note if you’re using a fluent interface for your transforms, the identity should be followed by shearing.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

johnp
Running the examples in chapter 5 c under pytest 5.4.1 causes an AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘config’. In particula...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
jdufour
Hello! On page xix of the preface, it says there is a community forum "… for help if your’re stuck on one of the exercises in this book… ...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New

Sub Categories: