Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

How to convert a typed definition to a typedstruct?

Background

I am moving towards defined data structures in my application, and I find that TypedStruct is quite useful.

Questions

However, I have recently found a little hickup. I don’t know how to convert this definition into a typedstruct:

  @type order_info :: %{
    (visible :: String.t()) => boolean,
    (order_type :: String.t()) => String.t(),
    (platform :: String.t()) => String.t(),
    (platinum :: String.t()) => non_neg_integer,
    (user :: String.t()) => %{
      (ingame_name :: String.t()) => String.t(),
      (status :: String.t()) => String.t()
    }
  }

My main issue here is the user map. Aside from the fact I don’t know how to define a typedstruct inside a trypedstruct, how do you folks do this?

  1. Do you simply define a map inside the order_info typedstruct and ignore the mandatory parameters for the user map?
  2. Do you create another typedstruct (called user) that goes inside the typedsctruct called order_info?
  3. What is the standard option in Elixir ?

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Answer

After talking with other folks at the community I have opted for separating the User into a struct, in its own module, inside an OrderInfo directory:

lib/
  order_info/
    user.ex
  order_info.ex

I personally find this works great for readability. So for readability purposes this is what I ended up with:

defmodule AuctionHouse.Data.OrderInfo.User do
  @moduledoc """
  Represents the account information for a User.
  """

  use TypedStruct

  alias AuctionHouse.Shared.Utils

  @type user :: %{
          (ingame_name :: String.t()) => String.t(),
          (status :: String.t()) => String.t()
        }

  typedstruct enforce: true do
    @typedoc "Account information of an User"

    field(:ingame_name, String.t())
    field(:status, String.t())
  end

  @spec new(user) :: __MODULE__.t()
  def new(
        %{
          "ingame_name" => ingame_name,
          "status" => status
        } = user
      )
      when is_binary(ingame_name) and is_binary(status),
      do: Utils.string_map_to_struct(user, __MODULE__)
end

An then OrderInfo is basically the same, as seen by this typedstruct definition:

  typedstruct enforce: true do
    @typedoc "Information about an order"

    field(:visible, boolean())
    field(:order_type, String.t())
    field(:platform, String.t())
    field(:platinum, non_neg_integer())
    field(:user, __MODULE__.User.t())
  end

Extra

One thing to mention here, is that struct will not convert string maps to structures, only atom maps. So in order to achieve my goal of converting string maps to structures, I created this little helper function:

defmodule AuctionHouse.Shared.Utils do
  @moduledoc """
  Set of functions used across the app, for utility purposes, like dealing with
  tuples, maps and other data structures.
  """

  alias Morphix

  @spec string_map_to_struct(data :: map, target_struct :: module | struct) ::
          target_struct :: struct
  def string_map_to_struct(data, target_struct) do
    data
    |> Morphix.atomorphiform!()
    |> data_to_struct(target_struct)
  end

  @spec data_to_struct(data :: Enumerable.t(), target_struct :: module | struct) ::
          target_struct :: struct
  def data_to_struct(data, target_struct), do: struct(target_struct, data)
end

Here I used Morphix to do the hard work, but this can also be achieved by other means, see:

Many thanks to all of the people who helped me get this far, from other communities as well:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

wolf4earth
At work we plan to replace a totally overkill Kafka instance with a combination of SNS and SQS. I don’t want to get into a discussion on ...
New
Jsdr3398
I’m trying to create a router where everything is in a collection of routes (similar to how I do my routes in expressjs). But it doesn’t ...
New
mrmurphy
I’ve run into a situation where I’ve got a list of posts inside of a container that uses phx-update=“prepend”, and the posts on the socke...
New
JimmyCarterSon
I am following this tutorial . I have followed carefully correcting errors as I go. The app allows you to create a blog post and add comm...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am moving towards defined data structures in my application, and I find that TypedStruct is quite useful. Questions Howeve...
New
sona11
I’m having a difficulty. I want to modify an attribute’s data type from String to Array. { “id”: “trn:tarb:tradingpartner:uuid:00000...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am a fan of dialyzer and friends (looking at Gradient) and I try to have sepcs in my code as much as I can. To this end, I a...
New
sona11
I studied very basic PHP (I believe). After that, I feel like I’ve gotten a handle on the language. My dream is to work as a web develope...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background When trying to execute mix release on a Windows 11 machine for a Phoenix project I get the following error: * assembling mark...
New
pillaiindu
Currently reading the book “Programming Phoenix LiveView”. At the end of the Chapter 1, I’m trying to solve the guess game. If the user ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New