davearonson

davearonson

Test coverage of plain JS, preferably w/o npm?

I’m unit-testing some JS, with Jasmine, and I’d like to check our coverage. We’re not using any front-end framework, nor much JS, so no other need to install npm, nor much additional other JS infrastructure, so we’d prefer not to. I’ve been trying to find lightweight options, and not coming up with anything, other than very clumsy dev-tools built into different browsers (and we haven’t standardized on one, and have customers that use different ones). Any ideas, if not of specific tools then at least where to look?

Most of the rest of the project is in Ruby, so gems are an option, but it’s not Rails and we definitely don’t want to drag that in as well. (It’s in Sinatra, but we may be moving away from that too, to just plain Rack. I doubt we’d go any lower-level than that though!) The only possibly-suitable thing I’ve found there is jscover, which hasn’t been updated in forever and depends strictly on such an outdated version of v8 that it’s a PITA to install it (in fact I tried for about four hours yesterday with all kinds of workarounds and failed).

Other details: I’m on a Mac, but we need it to work on Linux for most of the rest of the team. Windows not needed. NONE of us are JS wizards, I’ve got a decent handle on the language basics and some basic DOM manipulation but that’s about it, and still seem to be in the lead. We can certainly cobble pieces together with Ruby, bash scripting, maybe a few other languages, and baling wire.

Most Liked

iPaul

iPaul

In the JavaScript ecosystem using node (or npm) is like using gems in Ruby, you need to embrace it if you want to be able to do anything significant. You can get by with a minimal npm knowledge. That being said, node and npm works the same on macOS and Linux so your dev environment will be reproducible on Linux too (or you can use Docker). I recommend Jest Getting Started · Jest.

davearonson

davearonson

Makes sense, but I’m not sure if I want to do anything “significant” in JavaScript. I am not up-to-date on it, haven’t done all that much in a very long time, am not at all a front-ender (not that that’s bad, just different), and just don’t like JavaScript, at least insofar as I know it. On the other hand, it’s pretty much a necessary evil. On the gripping hand, I’m in the process of retiring, ideally having very little to do with JS ever again. :slight_smile: But in the meantime, my current client has some JS in need of testing, some I wrote, meaning I could put up with not-as-great tooling, but also some one of his employees wrote, and will probably continue to write, so I should set up something they can use decently well. Maybe coverage testing just won’t be part of that – or maybe we’ll get deep enough into JS and its tooling that we’ll bite the bullet and use npm. With judicious package management, maybe we can avoid having to upgrade our disks to hold the packages. :wink:

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

New
New
david-j-m
Hi, have a svelte spa gallery site - repl here. Have a couple of category buttons - Oil on Canvas and WaterColor… Sidebar contains all im...
New
harwind
First have a look at the code: function mainfunc(func, par3, par2){ window[func](par3, par2); } function calledfunc(par3, par2){ ...
/js
New
WiseDan
hi everybody , am new in gsap.js so i wanted load content in my home page when user scrolling , but since am reading the documentation ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a button that may be disabled or not, depending on a set of conditions. I want to disable/enable the button without hav...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a custom component in my LiveView, which is basically a group of checkboxes. I want to add a new attribute to my custo...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have Phoenix umbrella application. When inside said application, I can run it without issues if MIX_ENV=prod. However, if I ...
New
Benjamin-Philip
I’m curious about designing some websites and applications for personal (and potentially public via open sourcing) use. I’m an experience...
New
selamibaba
I maintain a content website built around a fixed domain of 78 unique items. This is the current overview page showing the complete data...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New