AstonJ

AstonJ

David Sinclair's new Lifespan podcast

We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the first just went out and it’s fascinating:

I think it’s going to be a hit. If you watch/listen to it I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts!

Most Liked

Rainer

Rainer

Already since 2020 in the thread you already linked :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But ok, here’s something new: I made panettone (Italian christmas cake with sourdough):

It’s super fluffy:

finner

finner

Bravo @Rainer - you are an inspiration.

Only a few years ago I had an “aha! moment” while browsing in the supermarket (or maybe it was more of an OMG! moment). It was like the scene in The Matrix when Neo can finally see it. All saw in the supermarket was sugar & highly processed foods in most of the aisles. When you take all those products away you are left with very little in a supermarket. It is amazing how obvious the revelation was but we do not see it.
I live in Spain, the Mediterranean diet is almost becoming mythical these days. I’m also taking the same approach as yourself - avoid highly processed foods & cook more at home with fresh ingredients.
More people should try and grow foods at home but it is difficult if you live in a city in a flat. But as the saying goes - baby steps.

How do you feel after a month reducing your sugar intake?

finner

finner

AH OK - this guy is an advocate of the Carnivore diets. He eats meat twice a day every day. Let’s see how is is when he is 70 years old. He is debunking a very small part of the Blue Zones messages though. It’s not all about diets.

I finished reading Blue Zones. It’s an easy read with some good all-round tips and advice. It does not push for 100% plant based diets but rather eat meat or fish once or twice a week.

With regards to actual diets there isn’t really anything new here. However, they also identify family, community, belonging and a purpose for living as being keys to longevity.

Other tips & advice include:

  • Eat what your grandparents ate
  • Get regular physical exercise
  • Family / community seems to be a key factor (support, love, acknowledged, belonging)
  • Having a life purpose
  • A glass of wine/beer a day (this surprised me)
  • Drink lots of water

This book hasn’t changed my food choices. I will continue with mainly plant-based but I do like my fish and burgers every now and then. And it’s good to know we can have a bottle of wine everyday … ah no sorry, they said a glass a day … damn!
My main take-away is around the family and community. I am lacking both. I don’t have much of a network of friends or community. I am a foreigner living in a capital city (anonymity) and I do not natively speak the language (communication constraints). Plus I am probably getting more anti social as I get older.
So I have work to do.

Where Next?

Popular Science Tech topics Top

wolf4earth
@AstonJ prompted me to open this topic after I mentioned in the lockdown thread how I started to do a lot more for my fitness. https://f...
New
AstonJ
Just started reading Ben Greenfield’s Boundless on my Kindle https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bo...
New
AstonJ
Just curious - do you eat any foods containing gluten? Do you have any thoughts on gluten? Examples of foods containing gluten: Bread ...
New
AstonJ
Seems like a lot of people caught it - just wondered whether any of you did? As far as I know I didn’t, but it wouldn’t surprise me if I...
New
First poster: bot
Modern city dwellers have lost about half their gut microbes. Comparing genomes of intestinal bacteria in various primates and human pop...
New
First poster: bot
To date most research on obesity has focused on studying those with a high body mass index (BMI), but a research group is now taking a di...
New
First poster: AstonJ
The move has been criticised by experts, who say the mineral helps reduce oral cavities, especially in children.
New
CommunityNews
People generate hydroxyl radicals (OH) in the presence of ozone via the ozonolysis of skin-emitted alkenes. In this study, we found that ...
New
CommunityNews
Editor’s Note New research offers a potential explanation for why some patients retain toxic metals long after undergoing an MRI. Publish...
New
CommunityNews
How does a technique called histotripsy turn tumors into a liquid slurry without harming healthy tissue? Learn about this new noninvasive...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New