sona11

sona11

In Java, convert a string array to a jagged array

I have a 1D array of numbers and need help splitting them into groups using a jagged array so that I can perform a series of computations. e.g.

int array []={1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10} 

I want to segregate and allocate the first four to one array, the next three to another, and the final three to a third. In my code, I was expecting to obtain something like this.

int [][] x = new int [3][];

x[0] = new int [4];
x[0] = {1 2 3 4};

x[1] = new int [3];
x[1] = {5 6 7};

x[2] = new int [3];
x[2] = {8 9 10};

Is there any method to create this jagged array using a flexible for loop and divide it into M groups or N groups of N values each just like an example given here that I didn’t understand? I attempted to retrieve those numbers using substring(), but I’m not sure how. I attempted to get those numbers using substring(), but I’m not sure how to proceed or if I’m doing it correctly.

for( int i=0; i<x.length; i++) { 
 x [i]= array.substring (0,3);
 x [i]=array.substring (4,6);
 x [i]=array.substring(7,9);
 }

I’m new to programming, but this code is plainly incorrect; could you kindly assist me? Thank you very much.

Most Liked

finner

finner

hi @sona11 - this is a very good problem for learning how to program.
There is no method in Java to do this, you need to write it. I want to help you but I am not going to give you the code, you will not learn that way.

int array []={1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10}

Your example array is an array of int which is a primitive data type in Java, not an object like String, List, etc.

The substring() in Java is used with the String object which is why it will not work with an array or an int.
Examples:

        String s = "Jagged Array";

        s.substring(7);             // will return Array
        s.substring(0, 6);        // will return Jagged

The example you refer to can help.

Copy that example to your IDE and change the following lines:

Replace this;

Scanner scn = new Scanner(System.in);
      
//Taking the input from user
int r = scn.nextInt();

with this:

int r = 3;  

We are just removing the user input from the code and hardcoding the number of rows, in this case we put 3.

Then run it in debug. You can also change the value of r each time you run to see what happens. This should help you understand what it is doing.

Pay special attention to the nested loop when you are stepping in debug.

        int temp = 0;
        for (int i = 0; i < arr.length; i++)
            for (int j = 0; j < arr[i].length; j++)
                arr[i][j] = temp++;

Once you understand that example you can start thinking about how to make it more flexible. I will try to help you with that if you want (but I won’t give you code).

What version of Java are you using? And what IDE, if you are using an IDE?
I hope this helps you in the learning process.

Maartz

Maartz

Hi,

Well to achieve some sort of output,
I’d use a regex with a capture. By explicitly saying I want a 4/3/3 capture.
The Regex should look like this:

[0-9]{4}\b-[0-9]{3}\b-[0-9]{3}

Note that this regex expects a ‘-’ as separator. Making use whitespace should do the trick.

What do you think about it?

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

The_Exile
I am new to programming. I started reading Eloquent Javascript 3rd Edition, as the book comes highly recommended as a good place for beg...
/js
New
brian
I’m working with a designer who created a design in Photoshop. I am mostly a Node.js and Android dev, but when I have worked with designe...
New
palak231
Hi this is Palak Sharma I am new here and I found this community while researching about JavaScript over the internet. Well I have comp...
/js
New
sona11
What is the difference between tuple relational calculus (TRC) and domain relational calculus (DRC)? What distinguishes them from relatio...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a a fresh umbrella project with a Phoenix app inside. To create the app I used the following commands: mix new test_a...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have created a fresh Phoenix app using mix phx.new.web web_interface --no-dashboard --no-ecto --no-gettext --no-mailer insid...
New
Julien0577
Hi all, Anybody knows how to do this menu animation? (from BBVA APP, they have the same for both android and iOS app). Is it custom?...
New
Arpeggio
I have the following HTML structure, which is dynamically rendered from a Sightly (HTL) page in a new AEM component we’re building, so I ...
New
jaeyson
would it be backwards if I’m learning react? last time I used UI library (aside from LiveView) was Elm (not much) and that was eons ago.
New
grboi
I am learning full-stack and wanted to know which tech would be best, which would scale better. This is because when sitting for intervie...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New