AstonJ

AstonJ

Do you have a glossy or matte monitor?

I have been using a glossy monitor (LG5K) for over a year now and I swear it is affecting my eyesight.

I heard that it can happen as it’s more difficult to focus on glossy surfaces but I was unconvinced and didn’t expect it to have any impact on my general eye-health. Maybe the covid lockdown and lack of gym/exercise has been a factor but I don’t think I will get a glossy monitor again (and really hope Apple bring out an affordable 6K matte display!)

I’m curious what you are using, and, if you’re using a glossy monitor, do you feel it’s impacted your eyesight at all?

Most Liked

Hallski

Hallski

I switched to a LG5K in the winter and it was fine, however with spring comes more light so it’s been more of a struggle. Now working with all the blinds down, which is somewhat depressing. Really love text rendering on the screen though…

dwaynebradley

dwaynebradley

On my laptops which are almost always glossy, I put a matte screen protector over them because it drives me crazy to see the reflection constantly. I can’t figure out why anyone thought that glossy was a good idea for a computer screen or TV for that matter. :man_shrugging:

AstonJ

AstonJ

They offer higher contrast and ‘brighter more vivid’ colours… but not great if you need to stare at them at close distance for things like text or need colour accuracy for things like print or work in a bright room or opposite a window.

Work machines should always be matte imo, even if just because they are easier for your eyes to focus on text :upside_down_face:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
First poster: bot
One of the questions I often come back to is this: how much of our collective wealth is inherited by our generations versus created by ou...
New
AstonJ
I have been using a glossy monitor (LG5K) for over a year now and I swear it is affecting my eyesight. I heard that it can happen as it’...
New
dwaynebradley
Has anyone see this one yet: Now granted, this one is VERY new but the modularity is really nice if they can make a go of it as a comp...
New
First poster: bot
Today Marvell is announcing the first NVMe SSD controllers to support PCIe 5.0, and a new branding strategy for Marvell’s storage control...
New
First poster: AstonJ
If you kept a close eye on the Apple vs. Epic Games trial, you might be wondering: How the hell did we get to this point, where a phone m...
New
AstonJ
I love my Kindle Oasis for reading, but unfortunately it’s not great for technical books as you often need to click on a link or do a qui...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in buying one as the second monitor for my Thinkpad while I am travelling: Anyone has experience in using on...
New
bsrtech
Blame AI! Samsung’s reported 100% QoQ increase in NAND Flash contract prices in Q1 2026 confirms a structural shift in the memory market....
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New