AstonJ
Computer power consumption - tested yours?
I found an old electric monitor and thought I’d see what my LG5K monitor while connected to the Mac was using - it powers the Mac and all devices connected to it: a USB hub with two SSDs and a DAC.
These are just basic tests of a few minutes, just to get an idea:
- With the Mac on (awake) and while it’s charging the Mac, it consumes about 140w
- With the Mac asleep and it charging, it consumes about 90w.
/ - With the Mac awake and it not charging, it consumes about 70w
- With the Mac asleep and it not charging, it consumes about 35w
- When the Mac is disconnected, it consumes about 9w
If it is doing something intensive that consumption would obviously go up, but for general everyday stuff it should be a fair representation. The Mac had lots of tabs, apps open.
Anyone else tested the power consumption of their set-up? Any interesting findings? ![]()
Popular General Dev topics
Continuing the discussion from What monitor(s) do you have for programming? - just wondering if anyone has used blue light blockers or gl...
New
Here’s why:
He makes a convincing argument against staggered, and the first comment sums it up:
Once I learned why the s...
New
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
If you’re wondering why 40% is preferred by some, here’s a good video about it:
New
Seen any nice artisan keycaps? Got any? Ordered any?
This thread was inspired by the one @foxtrottwist has :nerd_face:
New
Enjoy Life. Offline.
Your Minimalist Phone. Mindful design, essential functionalities, an eye-friendly E Ink display, a dedicated OS and ...
New
Saw this on TikTok of all places! :lol:
Anyone heard of them before?
Lite:
New
I am thinking in buying one as the second monitor for my Thinkpad while I am travelling:
Anyone has experience in using on...
New
I’m curious what’s the opinions on the Steam Deck of those here? A new handheld PC put out by Valve, primarily intended for gaming but i...
New
Shop Dell UltraSharp Thunderbolt Hub Monitor U5226KW. 6K ultrawide curved display, 120Hz refresh, & TUV-certified eye comfort.
New
Other popular topics
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting:
asdf install erlang 23.1.2
Configure failed.
checking ...
New
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux:
I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
This is a very quick guide, you just need to:
Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/
Click on search
Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun
Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
Background
Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
- All
- In The News (11384)
- Dev Chat (208)
- Questions (37)
- Resources (122)
- Blogs/Talks (29)
- Jobs (3)
- Events (15)
- Code Editors (59)
- Hardware
- Reviews (5)
- Sales (16)
- Design & UX (5)
- Marketing & SEO (2)
- Industry & Culture (14)
- Ethics & Privacy (19)
- Business (4)
- Learning Methods (7)
- Content Creators (7)
- DevOps & Hosting (14)
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /nodejs
- /arch-linux
- /spring
- /ubuntu
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /diversity
- /laravel









