OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Steam Deck

I’m curious what’s the opinions on the Steam Deck of those here? A new handheld PC put out by Valve, primarily intended for gaming but is entirely general purpose (I’ll no doubt be primarily programming on it when I get mine, easier then programming via my phone to my desktop over SSH and VNC for sure).

Some of the restrictions on reporters have lifted on being able to report on their review versions recently (the hardware side, the default OS, an arch-based linux, not yet as it’s not finalized yet, though soon, you can install whatever x86 based OS you want on it though, mainly linux or windows, lol) so they’ve started coming out. It looks really fascinating, and for the price it seems unbeatable. I have a bluetooth keyboard I use with my phone so I’ll just keep using it with that no doubt.

Here’s some contextual links:

Anyone else have good links? Or thoughts?

(Maybe this should be turned this into a wikipost…)

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

The only thing that will stop me from buying it right now is the fact that I’ll likely not have time for it for a while. :smiley:

Looks amazing and I have waited for an actual STRONG portable gaming computer all my life. I’ll likely fill it up with MAME emulators and whatnot; it’s almost certain to become my central hub of arcade and handheld gaming. No offence to my Switch. :003:

And yeah it looks really well done. I also plan to be backing it up (completely) to my NAS from one point and on!

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’ll probably play factorio with some friends, but it’s definitely going to be just a better ‘phone’ for me, and I mainly use my phone as a remote development environment (not so much a phone), lol.

Hallski

Hallski

I really don’t need another gaming device in my life but when I saw a screenshot of it with Factorio I would lie if I said I wasn’t tempted…

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

siddhant3030
Hi, I’m about to buy a MacBook 2019 model. I use mostly Elixir in my development. Should I go for this MacBook? or should I consider a L...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
foxtrottwist
This video made some interesting points and can help you decide if a shiny new M1 Mac is right for you.
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in buying one as the second monitor for my Thinkpad while I am travelling: Anyone has experience in using on...
New
OvermindDL1
I’m curious what’s the opinions on the Steam Deck of those here? A new handheld PC put out by Valve, primarily intended for gaming but i...
New
AstonJ
Any tech from the past that you liked/loved? Post here! Pics welcome too! :003:
New
First poster: bot
I’m now the proud owner of a new Sony Walkman. Yes, they’re still a thing, and I couldn’t be more chuffed! The photo below shows us Stayi...
New
Huang-PJ
If you are a programmer and you have purchased an external monitor from any brand for programming, BenQ User Research Team would like to ...
New
AiheyStudio
Every pet is unique, so why not let their personality shine on your keyboard? Introducing our Artisan Keycaps for Cats and Dogs, custom-m...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New